"Where Laid Back Takes on New Meaning..." Luang Prabang by saracen
Luang Prabang Travel Guide: 1,081 reviews and 2,780 photos
If I thought Vientiane was laid-back, LPB takes serenity to another level. If it were not for the fact that it was predominately a town based on tourism, and therefore jam-packed with tour agencies, ethnic crafts shops and folky restaurants, I would have to say I had found my peace on earth.
In their (my!) defence, I have to say that the majority of tourists seemed to be in their mid 20s or older, so there was a degree of maturity and sophistication (i.e. no street brawls or pavement pizzas) that places such as Siem Reap or Cuzco must crave, overrun as they are with North American and European gap-year brats deluding themselves that they are doing something unique and daring when they put on a poncho and let Daddy buy their airline tickets to adventure.
Anyway, rant over… temples are so common in the town that on several occasions my friends asked ‘Have we seen this one?’, precursor to a discussion as to which one it may have been on our itinerary. Don’t let that make you think therefore that if you see one, you’ve seen them all. Quite the opposite, they all had something distinctive and interesting about them, whether it be the Wats with friezes depicting the punishment that awaits for sinners, or the Wats with the plethora of mini Buddhas, scattered everywhere like some ancient and geeky, if not sinister collection (forgive me, please!).
LPB, a town of around 26,000 people, has over 60 monasteries, of which over 30 still have their own accompaniment of monks. As such, these saffron robed, shaven headed fellows seem to be everywhere in the city – almost as prolific as all the tourists.
The LPB nightlife varied from friendly bistro to sophisticated wine bars to those semi-nightclubs that play the latest dance tunes to hip crowds. One such place summed up perfectly the general ambiance of the town and the nature of its people, with a sign in the toilets that read ‘Respect The Lao: most Lao people wake up before 6am to give alms to the monks. Be quiet on the streets after 10pm!’
- Pros:Beautiful, relaxing, serene.
- Cons:Becoming more mainstream - visit quick before it changes...
- In a nutshell:The laid-back centre of a laid-back country
Set in a nicely maintained colonial house on the main drag, this spa offers traditional massage treatments and the... more travel advice
To get to the caves you need to take a longboat from LPB, about 1 ½ hours upstream. There are loads of photo... more travel advice
saracen's Related Pages
Luang Prabang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "It Really is the Jewel of the Jewel of SE Asia"
- "Luang Prabang: The Cheeky Monk"
- "A rare jewel in the Mekong Jungles"
- "World Heritage wonderland."
- "IMPREXXION: LUANG PRABANG"
- "Luang Prabang ~ Charming Town By the Mekong River"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Luang Prabang
- Hotels in Luang Prabang
- Transportation in Luang Prabang
- Nightlife in Luang Prabang
- Restaurants in Luang Prabang
- Shopping in Luang Prabang
- Warnings and Dangers in Luang Prabang
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Luang Prabang
- 6 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Luang Prabang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Luang Prabang
- Posted in Travel Phuket Forum "Re: Guesthouses in Patong"
- Wrote a Review Relax with a massage in Luang Prabang Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Relax with a massage"
- Commented on one of tweetycaro's Luang Prabang travel pages
- updated a Luang Prabang Travel Page "Where Laid Back Takes on New Meaning..."
Photos in Luang PrabangSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Bangkok 22 reviews, 21 photos
- Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ho Chi Minh City 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Phnom Penh Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Luang Prabang Intro, 6 reviews, 13 photos
- Aberdeen 8 reviews, 3 photos
- Tokyo 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Phumi Siem Reab Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Kuala Lumpur 5 reviews, 3 photos