"Salta, Argentina: Inca Empire stopped here" Top 5 Page for this destination Salta by kfredson
Salta Travel Guide: 148 reviews and 378 photos
Salta is at the heart of one of the most spectacular regions of the world I have ever seen. Once the furthest south part of the Inca Empire, five hundred years ago three children sent out from Cuzco to offer themselves to the gods in the sacred mountain high up in the Andes above Salta. But that is just one link with a splendid past. More on my site on Salta:
At the heart of the city of Salta is this plaza, one of the most comfortable places, day or night, I have ever experienced. Come here to sit on a bench and listen to the birds and the children, or sit at one of the cafes surrounding the plaza. And certainly don't miss the sunset, when the whole face of the Cathedral glows in the golden light.
The Balcarce is a street that comes alive on Friday and Saturday nights, beginning at about 11pm and lasting until dawn. I counted over 15 places where music was being played -- Bolivian, Latin Rock, Pop, and, especially, the splendid folkloric music of Salta itself. You can move amongst the pubs or just walk out in the street with the hundreds of Saltenos enjoying the music wash over them.
- Pros:Great music, friendly people, splendid city!
- In a nutshell:Gateway to beautiful, diverse landscapes
Please tell me if you have found a town plaza so delightfully relaxing and enjoyable as this one. I think of Siena or... more travel advice
Marcelo Zambrano is a guide living in Salta who delights in showing people out-of-the-way corners of the province of... more travel advice
kfredson's Related Pages
Salta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Salta, la linda"
- "First view of the Andes"
- "Salta La Linda"
- "Salta, Argentina: Inca Empire stopped here"
- "Salta, north-west Argentina"
- "Salta "La Linda""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salta
- Hotels in Salta
- Transportation in Salta
- Nightlife in Salta
- Restaurants in Salta
- Shopping in Salta
- Warnings and Dangers in Salta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Salta
- 14 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Salta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salta
- updated a Salta Travel Page "Salta, Argentina: Inca Empire stopped here"
- Posted in Travel Peru Forum "RE: Camino del Inca a pie"
- Commented on one of ptitetoile's Salta travel pages
- Wrote a Review Plaza 9 de Julio: Like None Other in Salta Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Plaza 9 de Julio: Like None Other"
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salta Intro, 14 reviews, 10 photos
- Departamento de Estelí Intro, 12 reviews, 7 photos
- Estelí Intro, 9 reviews, 6 photos
- New York City Intro, 2 reviews, 1 photo
- Granada 2 reviews
No friends yet.