"On my way to the world..." Laerke's Profile

NEXT STOP: SYRIA feb-mar 2006 - Where I hope to improve my arabic skills - can't wait to meet the syrian people that I've heard so many good things about!

It will, however, be embarrasing to present myself self as a dane, considering the ignorant pictures in a particular danish news paper (jyllandsposten).

Discrimination is illegal in Denmark according to the law - hence, freedom of speach does not exist in it's true form in Denmark, fortunately! Freedom of speech, has become abused words to make excuses for mistakes made verbally. The offence has come at a very unfortunate moment, just as danish scholars in arabic are arranging a big cultural event with focus on middleeastern culture. I just hope that the event will survive.

( First of all, this forum is for people looking for advice not for dating! All mails with other intentions than exchanging travel experiences will be reported to VT for abuse. For that same reason I do not meet with anyone anywhere unless you are a woman or a couple).

Westeners dead because of terror: 3.700

AIDS victims : 12.302.919 (1 every 10. second)

Children dying because of diseases that could have been prevented : 41.009.730 (1 every 3. second)

Which is worst?

ME:

As my past two jobs included travelling I cannot add every place that I ve been to.
Either because I spent too little time there or because don t know enough to brag about it.

I have just swoped my "carrer" for a more stable lifestyle, studying Arabic/Middle East Studies at University back in Denmark. Two years of travelling from Madrid and one and a half from Dubai.

I still do have visions about travelling, just not as much and on my own time, not with work and limited time most places.
Ill be focusing more on Europe. Italy, Prague, Berlin, Sweden, Holland....any suggestions?

MORE ME:

I ve been raised moving from one place to another many times growing up in Denmark - just never stopped. With that, a resume of my longest journeys:

- 3 months to The Canary Islands, Spain when I was about 3 years old :-) a journey that has printed its impression deeper in my mind than anything else I remember from my early childhood.

- 5 and a half months to The US (Miami, NY and Chicago) at 18. First time travelling on my own.

- 2 months to South America (Venezuela, Brasil, Argentina and Bolivia) at 23. First time with a backpack.

Wanting to expand my horizons a went to Madrid.

I ended up staying there for 2 years working for a Spanish Airline most of the time. Meaning I got the chance to visit South America, Guatemala, Yucatan/Mexico, Paris repeatedly, Amsterdam and many parts of Spain - San Sebastian, most of Canarias and many times, Barcelona, Granada, Toledo, Bilbao etc.

Once badly effected by the travelbug adventure, wanting to get to know "The Other Part of The Planet", I exchanged Madrid for Dubai.
Dubai was my home for 1 and a half year.
From there I got to explore some of the UAE regions, Hatta and Fujairah, driving through deserts and mountains. Then Tanzania and Zanzibar and recently Egypt. All with my boyfriend and not on my own anymore as I use to

Page no longer under construction...

Any corrections or critics are welcomed!
Let me know if there is, anything you want to know more about....

FAVOURITE SIGHTS AND PLACES:

GUATEMALA - Tical Mayan Ruins and my first experience in the jungle.

GUATEMALA - climbing Pacaya Volcano, looking down the active crater and watching the coulds whirling around the volcano under me.

MEXICO - Chich?n Itz? Mayan Ruins and staying on Tulums turquoise beaches - one night I slept under the open sky. I could hardly close my eyes watching the stars.

BRAZIL - Waking up in a bus at sunrise by Costa Verde between the Rio and Sao Paolo on my way to Parati.

ARGENTINA - Saltas multicoloured and- shaped mountains and vilages.

BRAZIL - Again. For Pantanal, its animals, fauna, rivers and horseriding.

ROME - For the food experience and absolutely breathtaking atmosphere and ruins. Not to forget the Vatican.

EGYPT - Giza Pyramids and Karnak Temple come as some of the last of favourite places as these fantastic sights were overshadowed by bad experiences with locals.

VENEZUELA - while waiting for the bus a local sits down to talk to me. At first Im sceptical, thiknig he wants something from me, but then he introduces me to his wife and we start to talk about the political problems in Venezuela. Along comes an eldery man to blend in with a different opinion from an older geration. Soon Im surrounded by a lively debating crowd. Ill never forget the people I met on my short stay in Venezuela. Helpful and currious to meet me and my story. My highlight with locals.

TANZANIA - Gamedrive through Lake Manyara and Ngorongoro Crater.

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES - for my desert experinces.

BRAZIL - The Amazon Jungle and Iguazu Falls

FAVOURITE BEACHES

BRAZIL - Trinidade Beach (Parati Village between Rio and Sao Paulo). Following the jungle path you reach the most beautiful little spot where you can lie on rocks out in the water.

LANZAROTE - Playa del Papagayo. Colour and landscape.

ZANZIBAR - For "White Sands" cottages and crystal clear water.

MEXICO/TULUM - for colour and stars.

FAVOURITE exclusive HOTELS WORLDWIDE

(Work related stayes, not from my journies backpacking - that is, no hostels mentioned :-)

And the winner isssss....

Le Meridien Al Aqah Hotel Fujairah/UAE!
For best service, treatment and pool area

2nd - Copenhagen Airport Hilton
For class, style and food

3rd - Mauritius Shandraini
For tropical beauty and beach.

4th - Melbourne Meridien Rialto.
For a different style

5th - Jakarta Sheraton Bandara
Again for tropical atmosphere

Eventhough Ive never stayed at The Royal Mirage Dubai - it is certaintly special for arabic feel and restaurants....

• Intro Updated Jan 9, 2006

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

• kingip's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Happy B/D!

• CEP1863's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Wishing you a very happy birthday!

• kopwint's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2008 at 8:39 AM

happy birthday..., and get free and happy in this winter time and X mas. wish you get all what you want in your great time of your birthday Burma

• traveloturc's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2007 at 4:33 AM

Happy birthday to you from Istanbul/Turkiye...I wish that you realize all your dreams good luck !!!))))

• boutahas's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2007 at 3:53 AM

Many happy returns of the day wishes u Hassan!

• ets's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2007 at 11:54 AM

Hi Laerke! A small favor, please. Check out Tangoportalen.com members from Denmark. I don't understand the language. el-viejo, Manny

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2007 at 9:04 AM

hej lærke. vi er nogle "vt members" der skal ud og sejle vikinge skib i roskilde lørdag den 25 august. du er velkommen til at komme og være med hvis du har tid og lyst.

• mturkkan's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2006 at 7:51 AM

Happy birthday, happy travelling this year

• harirasik's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2006 at 3:30 AM

Happy Birthday to you and may you succeed in your life life in every way. (~_~)?? I wish you a Merry Christmas?, And a Happy New Yeaaaaar?? (~_~).Greetings from Nepal.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Laerke's Profile Photo

Laerke

“the more you risk, the more you gain”

Real Name