Rotorua Things to Do Tips by jag17
Rotorua Things to Do: 273 reviews and 509 photos
As part of the Maori hangi and concert, we were given the opportunity to purchase tickets to the Realm of Tane. At the time, I wasn't really sure what I was signing up for. It turned out to be a seperate performance that we attended earlier in the day. An interactive story in which a grandmother is passing down the culture/stories of her childhood to her grandaughter. Part guided tour, character theater, and story telling. My friend and I were the only one in attendance which seemed a little odd at first, but the cast did a great job of performing, and it was very touching. We really felt like we had attended something special as we lef the theater.
Address: 1220 Hinemaru St
If you get the chance, you should check out the Tamaki Maori Village. The fun begins the minute the painted bus comes to pick you up from your hotel. Horn honking, singing, and laughter while you travel to the village (you should know/practice your national anthem/country song because you will be expected to sing)! You will be delivered to the grounds where they will explain the rules of entering the sacred village, and someone (a male guest) will be selected to perform in the entrance ceremony. After the chief allows you to enter, you will have plenty of time to wander around the many demonstrations displaying the Maori culture before heading off to the concert, and tradional Maori Hangi. Enjoy dinner, and a stroll around the craft stores before the bus delivers you safe and sound back to your hotel. More honking, singing, etc! Even though you will enjoy many laughs, this is a cultural event and very interesting.
Address: Hinemaru St, Rotorua.
Directions: Catch the tour in the city.
Phone: 07 - 346 2823
You have a few choices if you want to check out one of the many thermal reserves in Rotorua. We selected Whatarewarewa, and were not disappointed. You are free to wander on your own, or enjoy the guided tour. The guide was very interesting and informative. A small Maori population still lives at the reserve; bathing and cooking with the thermal waters. You even have the chance to purchase corn on the cob cooked right in the waters. The hightlight is the Pohutu Geyser which erupts several times a day; some eruptions over 60' into the air (great photo ops). Be sure and check out the Maori culture show which is also included in your admission price.
Address: Tyron St, Rotorua.
Directions: Off Fenton St,into Sala St, then Tryon St.
Phone: 07 - 349 3463
If you have come to Rotorua, you must spend some time at the spa! Yes, even you male readers that have never had a spa experience! Trust me, you will love it! It is very well done, organized and the staff will walk you through the entire thing. All you have to do it show up, relax, and melt into relaxation! Plan in advance for the treatment(s) you want to schedule. They do book up quickly, so don't delay. They will instruct you to arrive at least 1 hour prior to your appointment, so that you have time to enjoy the hot springs. Four pools at different temperatures will set the tone for your spa treatment.
I enjoyed a 60 minute mud wrap, with a 30 minute foot therapy treatment. It was messy, but heavenly. I walked out like mush. After completing treatments, we slipped into our robes and wandered down to the lounge area to relax further with a glass of wine. No need to hurry!
Address: Hinemoa Street, Rotorua.
Directions: Right in the centre of town.
Phone: 07 - 348 1328
jag17's Related Pages
Rotorua Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Roto-Vegas!"
- "Clean Steam - Smell Hell - Culture Capital"
- "Rotorua, main tourist attraction in North Island."
- "Maori Culture"
- "Rotorua: between sulphur smell and maori culture"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rotorua
- Hotels in Rotorua
- Transportation in Rotorua
- Nightlife in Rotorua
- Restaurants in Rotorua
- Shopping in Rotorua
- Warnings and Dangers in Rotorua
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rotorua
- 6 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Rotorua?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rotorua
Top 10 Pages
- Las Vegas Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 11 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 5 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Maui Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Cooks Beach Intro, 6 reviews, 19 photos
- Cancún Intro, 13 reviews, 11 photos
- Florence Intro, 9 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kaikoura Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos
- Wai-O-Tapu- 33 Reviews, 84 Photos
- Te Puia- 26 Reviews, 67 Photos
- Te Whakarewarewa- 18 Reviews, 24 Photos
- Skyline Gondola & Luge- 16 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Rainbow Springs & Farm- 11 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Hell's Gate- 8 Reviews, 14 Photos
- Buried Village- 13 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Polynesian Spa- 11 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Zorbing- 9 Reviews, 23 Photos
- Agrodome- 16 Reviews, 20 Photos
See All Rotorua Things to Do