"Nikko - UNESCO World Heritage Site" Top 5 Page for this destination Nikko by nicolaitan
Nikko Travel Guide: 301 reviews and 916 photos
The pilgrim city of Nikko is about 130 km. northeast of Tokyo, easily reached in 2 hours by direct train from Asakusa station. The site is centered on the mausoleum and shrine to the shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu (1542-1616) originally built in 1616 and renovated by Iemitsu, a grandson, some years later. He became shogun in 1603 and established Tokyo as the seat of government of a (more or less) unified Japan. A bloodthirsty creature, even members of his own family died at his hand. The Tokugawa regime controlled Japan until 1868. He established the trade monopolies that led to the almost total isolation of Japan from the rest of the world for two centuries.
Nikko is unquestionably one of the most remarkable achievements from the past, a monument to ancient leaders and a physical reminder of the beauty of architecture and embellishment. It's beauty leaves one in awe, set among magnificent mountain background and yet easily accessible on a day-trip from Tokyo. The guide books all comment on the adjacent lakes, rivers, scenery, hiking paths, whatnot. Forget it. The temples and shrines of the Tokugawa regime are absolutely where you want to spend the whole day. Period. NB - bring walking shoes.
- Pros:spectacular shrine of great beauty, amazing day trip
- Cons:short on conveniences on site
The Kokaemon gate is at the entrance of the Mausoleum Taiyuin, wherein lies the tomb of Tokugawa Iemetsu, grandson of... more travel advice
This lavish gate is part of the Rinnoji temple and is the entrance to the shrine to Tokugawa Iemetsu, the grandson of... more travel advice
nicolaitan's Related Pages
Nikko Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nikko - UNESCO World Heritage Site"
- "The Temples of Nikko"
- ""Nikko is Nippon""
- "History and Nature Tours All in One!"
- "Nikko - A World Heritage Site"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nikko
- Hotels in Nikko
- Transportation in Nikko
- Restaurants in Nikko
- Shopping in Nikko
- Warnings and Dangers in Nikko
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nikko
- 14 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Nikko?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nikko
Photos in NikkoSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 55 reviews, 283 photos, 6 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 53 reviews, 206 photos
- Vienna Intro, 48 reviews, 197 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 60 reviews, 180 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevsehir Ili Intro, 38 reviews, 185 photos, 3 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 57 reviews, 160 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 40 reviews, 167 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 42 reviews, 159 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 42 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues