"Serbs, Schlock, and Sacred Art in Szentendre" Top 5 Page for this destination Szentendre by nicolaitan
Szentendre Travel Guide: 203 reviews and 570 photos
20 km north of Budapest, this quaint village of 20000 has become a major day trip tourist destination. Early occupants included Celts, Romans, and Lombards. Serbs fleeing the Turks first settled here in the 14th Century and the village retains its origins in the many Orthodox churches, brightly colored Mediterranean architecture and ambience, and use of Cyrillic writing. After the difficult life under Turkish occupation ended in 1686, the Serbian ( and Greek ) immigrants prospered for a period. As Habsburg rule became more autocratic, however, many moved on and the town became just another village on the Danube. Floods and crop disease further limited development in the 19th Century. The result has been the preservation of the original Mediterranean architecture and ambience and the preservation of several Serbian Orthdox churches making for an attractive tourist destination even though very few Serbs remain today.
In the 1920's, a group of forward looking Hungarian artists discovered Szentendre and made it into an artist colony. Tourists followed particularly after the 1960's adding the final touch to the village today -- amazing numbers of shops selling trinkets and souveniers to the landscape.
The image depicts the towers of the main Serbian Orthodox church towering over the commercial heart of the village.
Dating to the 1750's and built by Andreas Mayerhoffer n the site of an older wooden church dating to 1690, this church... more travel advice
We expected very little in the way of quality dining on the main square of a town devoted to day tripping tourists. And... more travel advice
nicolaitan's Related Pages
Szentendre Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Serbs, Schlock, and Sacred Art in Szentendre"
- "A Great day trip from Budapest"
- "At the bend of the Danube"
- "Short guidebook to Szentendre"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Szentendre
- Hotels in Szentendre
- Transportation in Szentendre
- Nightlife in Szentendre
- Restaurants in Szentendre
- Shopping in Szentendre
- Warnings and Dangers in Szentendre
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Szentendre
- 9 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Szentendre?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Szentendre
- Posted in Travel Playa del Carmen Forum "Re: Health & Safety"
- Commented on one of mindcrime's Szentendre travel pages
- updated a Szentendre Travel Page "Serbs, Schlock, and Sacred Art in Szentendre"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Serbs, Schlock, and Sacred Art in Szentendre"
- Wrote a Review Blagovestenska Church in Szentendre Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 55 reviews, 283 photos, 6 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 53 reviews, 206 photos
- Vienna Intro, 48 reviews, 197 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 59 reviews, 175 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevsehir Ili Intro, 38 reviews, 185 photos, 3 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 57 reviews, 160 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 40 reviews, 167 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 42 reviews, 159 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 42 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues