"A Failure of Urban Planning" Armação de Pêra by nicolaitan

Armação de Pêra Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 60 photos

An Appraisal of the Town

The village of Armacao de Pera is just a collection of package - tour hotels, tall condomiums with restaurants on the ground floor, and seemingly no redeeming features as a destination other than the beach, the pools, and the sun. The buildings are crammed one on top of the other without any attempt at good architectural taste - just a bunch of ugly boxes. The one restaurant we ate in was occupied by a busload of German tourists and us - it was unspeakably bad. Even the bank teller wasn't nice.

Why Would One Build This Hotel Here?

The Vila Vita Park is an incredible hotel, a member of the Leading Hotels of the World, set in a spectacular location overlooking the Atlantic. Why here?

• Intro Updated Mar 4, 2006

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Visited the Algarve coast in the 1980s and there were already a number of buildings at Armaçao.
    I can imagine what it is now.
    A good souvenir: eating caracoles.

• isolatedpawn's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2013 at 1:13 AM

nice photos and article

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2013 at 11:15 PM

massive tourism destroys slowly the coastline in south europe, its amazing how many huge resorts created in spain and now exist only as ghost towns after the economic crisis

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
      Aug 21, 2013 at 1:45 PM

well i know the hotel is still there, because i saw an ad for it just a few weeks ago. largely caters to a german clientele, can remember walking around and being greeted with guten morgen and guten abend as if anyone there almost had to be german. as for the town, it got plenty of bus tours. a dreadful restaurant we ate in had a busload of very unhappy german tourists.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2013 at 11:15 PM

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2010 at 7:59 AM

Sounds like a great hotel and beach in a not-so-great town. I don't think Armação de Pêra even existed when I cycled through the Algarve forty-seven years ago.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Interesting tips about this special hotel. I must admit that I have never heard of Armação de Pêra, although I have been to quite a few places in Portugal, but obviously not at the Algarve coast.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2010 at 3:17 PM

What an adventure Lew. Those stairs leading down to the beach looks fun. The fountains and that view must have been fantastic to see in person.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2008 at 4:57 PM

You were lucky to get such a great hotel. We only stop for an hour or so at Algarve and move onto Seville for 2 nights.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2007 at 11:30 AM

Beautiful pics of a gorgeous resort and, for that price, it should be! I agree with your commentary about massive developments in scenic areas like this. My wife & I found one of those little beach coves very close to your hotel during our whirlwind trip!

• davesut's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2006 at 11:35 AM

Somewhere for us to avoid, going to Algarve in the summer update - we ended up here one evening during our stay and you are right it is unspeakably horrible save for the beach

nicolaitan

“Tomorrow is but another page in god's coloring book”

Badges & Stats in Armação de Pêra

Have you been to Armação de Pêra?

Photos in Armação de Pêra