"Center of the Renaissance--Where My Heroes Live" Florence by nicolaitan

Florence Travel Guide: 5,155 reviews and 11,389 photos

Sunset on the Arno

Florence is one of the best known and most loved cities in the tourist world, renowned for its art and architecture, scenery, fine hotels, and fabulous restaurants all contained in a compact downtown where everything is accessible on foot.

Everyone has their own secret picture of Florence in their minds - for me, the roof jumble.

• Intro Updated May 29, 2006

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2012 at 7:02 AM

Lew. you did a great job with your detailed and clear descriptions. Your opening picture was excellent! Florence to me was almost overwhelming, so much history and great art in one place!

• MD2nd's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2010 at 5:04 AM

Great & very detailed Bell Tower tip! Due to your tip I now know about Giotto Di Bondone's "painted" tower! Thanks!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2010 at 6:37 PM

The Church of San Frediano in Castello is so lovely! Nice page Lew!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Lew, thanks for this little glimpse into Florence! Italy is one of those places I've longed to visit and this city is right at the top of the list! Very interesting history and photos of those major architectural wonders of the city. Happy New Year 2010!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2009 at 3:28 AM

Interesting and knowledgeable tips! My one visit to Florence was many years ago, and I think I was too young to appreciate it properly. (Now too old? We shall see.)

• kmohandas's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2008 at 9:14 AM

I have visited Florence long back. Your marvellous VT page on this beautiful place makes me nostalgic.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2007 at 4:25 AM

Im still itching to see Florence and Pisa - think i might be there for the run up to Christmas !- thanks for your motivating tips.

• Manara's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2007 at 12:09 PM

What a great page! It is a pleasure reading something written so well and with such competence.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2006 at 4:02 PM

Wonderful presentation of a lovely favorite of mine in Italy. What a great hotel. Love the detail, the well written narration, and good photographs to match.

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2006 at 9:52 AM

I loved the detailed descriptions of the art works and buildings and your photos are so atmospheric. I spent several hours in San Marco also and found the Annunciation and smaller frescoes in the cells very moving.

nicolaitan

“Tomorrow is but another page in god's coloring book”

Badges & Stats in Florence

Have you been to Florence?

Latest Activity in Florence