"Delightful Spa Town and Hill Vilage" Top 5 Page for this destination Montecatini Terme by nicolaitan
Montecatini Terme Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 96 photos
This summer resort lies mid-way between Lucca and Florence, on the main rail line and also on the autostrada. It lies at the foot of the Pistoian mountains and has been a major spa since the 14th Century. Visitors have included everyone from Giuseppe Verdi to Princess Grace, with Clark Gable, Orson Welles, Douglas Fairbanks, and loads of other European royalty in between. The alleged healing properties of the thermal waters here were first made famous in a treatise by one Dr. Ugolino Simoni in 1417 and the town's fortune was made. There are nine active sources for the healing waters in town, each belle-epoque and grander than the next.
The saline-sulphate-alkaline waters are taken predominantly for gastorintestinal and biliary disorders ranging from constipation to hepatitis to lipid metabolic disorders and the offered modalities range from mud packs to inhalation therapy to hydromassage. The water from each spa is different depending on the source and the salinity and up to four are usually taken as combination therapy.
This magnificent hotel with sumptuous public rooms, a huge dining room, and even bigger bar with ceilings that must be... more travel advice
nicolaitan's Related Pages
Montecatini Terme Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The city where i live"
- "Delightful Spa Town and Hill Vilage"
- "Montecatini Terme, renowned health spas"
- "Montecatini Terme: Relaxing and Fun"
- "Montecatini Terme and Montecatini Alto"
- "Montecatini Terme"
- "Small spa town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Montecatini Terme
- Hotels in Montecatini Terme
- Transportation in Montecatini Terme
- Nightlife in Montecatini Terme
- Restaurants in Montecatini Terme
- Shopping in Montecatini Terme
- Warnings and Dangers in Montecatini Terme
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Montecatini Terme
- 3 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Montecatini Terme?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Montecatini Terme
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Getting euros"
- Commented on one of BruceDunning's Montecatini Terme travel pages
- updated a Montecatini Terme Travel Page "Delightful Spa Town and Hill Vilage"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Stately Magnificence in a 5 Star Hotel (3 photos)"
- Wrote a Review Stately Magnificence in a 5 Star... in Montecatini Terme Hotels
Photos in Montecatini TermeSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 55 reviews, 283 photos, 6 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 53 reviews, 206 photos
- Vienna Intro, 48 reviews, 197 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 59 reviews, 175 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevsehir Ili Intro, 38 reviews, 185 photos, 3 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 57 reviews, 160 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 40 reviews, 167 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 42 reviews, 159 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 42 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues