"3000 Years of History" Orvieto by nicolaitan

Orvieto Travel Guide: 217 reviews and 756 photos

Situated on a volcanic bluff 700 feet above the surrounding fields and vineyards, Orvieto traces its past to the Etruscans as far back as the 9th Century BC. It was annexed by the Roman Empire in the 3rd Century B.C. After the fall of Rome, it was held by Goths and Lombards until the 10th Century when it became an independent state. It became a papal state several centuries later, the Golden Era for this city, when all the major public buildings and churches were built.

• Intro Updated Feb 12, 2006

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Fine photos of Orvieto! Glad to hear the people are so friendly there.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2010 at 7:13 AM

Nice page, pics and tips....Im feeling an urge to be back in Italy before too long coming on!

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Viewed Orvieto only from the train - will have to go back. Lovely photos & good info. Grazie, Carol

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2008 at 5:32 PM

Great tips and photos on Orvieto! I especially appreciate the tip about it being a good walking city with friendly people. Sounds like my kind of place! Best from New Jersey, Bill

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2007 at 1:24 AM

I remember the lovely wine from Orvieto we drank in the restaurant that had been a church! So, when are you coming to Greece!???

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2006 at 12:35 AM

Yes, it was one of our favourite towns in all of Italy as well. I recommend the underground tour if you ever have the time.

• May 20, 2006 at 7:32 AM

The chapel in the Duomo was incredible. We got there first thing one morning and had the whole thing to ourselves for half an hour, magnificent!

• rubbersoul75's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2006 at 11:08 PM

Never tire of shots of the Duomo. I enjoy your pics and useful info- grazie. Sure we'll cross paths again in a forum. PS, you've got my favorite Verdi quote on your homepage... I've planned on using that if/when I tackle an overall Italy page!

• Mar 27, 2006 at 10:53 AM

just a quick hi...i was in Gubbio a long time ago.

• kymbanm's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2006 at 8:17 PM

Your main picture reminds me of the view of Acoma Pueblo from the road .... unless you bother to look up, you'd simply miss seeing the wondrous town :)

nicolaitan

“Tomorrow is but another page in god's coloring book”

Badges & Stats in Orvieto

Have you been to Orvieto?

Latest Activity in Orvieto