"3000 Years of History" Orvieto by nicolaitan
Orvieto Travel Guide: 218 reviews and 761 photos
Situated on a volcanic bluff 700 feet above the surrounding fields and vineyards, Orvieto traces its past to the Etruscans as far back as the 9th Century BC. It was annexed by the Roman Empire in the 3rd Century B.C. After the fall of Rome, it was held by Goths and Lombards until the 10th Century when it became an independent state. It became a papal state several centuries later, the Golden Era for this city, when all the major public buildings and churches were built.
Orvieto is a great town for walking. The narrow medeival walkways, some with arches, give way unexpectedly to wide... more travel advice
nicolaitan's Related Pages
Orvieto Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Orvieto: Ancient Hilltown Close To Rome: 2013"
- "Wine, Etruscans and a magnificent duomo"
- "Pottery heaven -- and other heavenly things"
- "The hill town of Orvieto"
- "Close to Rome And Worth a Visit"
- "The most marvellous duomo"
- "Classic hilltop town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Orvieto
- Hotels in Orvieto
- Transportation in Orvieto
- Nightlife in Orvieto
- Restaurants in Orvieto
- Shopping in Orvieto
- Warnings and Dangers in Orvieto
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Orvieto
- 2 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Orvieto?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Orvieto
Photos in OrvietoSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 55 reviews, 283 photos, 6 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 53 reviews, 206 photos
- Vienna Intro, 48 reviews, 197 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 60 reviews, 180 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevsehir Ili Intro, 38 reviews, 185 photos, 3 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 57 reviews, 160 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 40 reviews, 167 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 42 reviews, 159 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 42 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues