"A Village of Incomparable Beauty" Top 5 Page for this destination Ravello by nicolaitan
Ravello Travel Guide: 113 reviews and 389 photos
This small village of perhaps 2500 residents is perched on a cliff overlooking Amalfi and the sea. Founded in the 6th Century by noble families of Amalfi, it was initially a center for spinning wool. As early as the 11th Century it was described as "opulent".It was a featured locale in Boccaccio's Decameron in the 13th Century. As its fortunes declined, the city made the most of its incomparable geography and beautiful buildings and gardens.
In 1880 Richard Wagner arrived in Ravello and it was here that "Parsifal" was composed. Later visitors have included Grieg, Toscanini, and Leonard Bernsteirn from the world of music, and Graham Greene, Tennessee Williams, and Gore Vidal from the world of literature. Much of Lady Chatterley's Lover was written here. Politicians include Kennedy and Mitterand. And the famed indiscretions of Roberto Rosselini and Ingrid Bergman centered on the Hotel Lombardy.
Today Ravello is a tourist mecca, close and yet somewhat difficult of access because of the steep winding access road.Therefore, the village seems relatively peaceful compared to places like Positano, and always immaculate. Visitors come for the villas and gardens, the views, and often for weddings which are a big business in Ravello. Arrangements can be made for traditional weddings in the cathedral of course but also for civil ceremonies. The church is very very busy with weddings - adjacent a wedding party in the main square.
This amazing hotel is in a reconstructed 12th Century villa high on Ravello's promontory and with a spectacular view of... more travel advice
The Villa Cimbrone lies at the peak of Ravello's promontory overlooking the shoreline and the Tyrrhenean Sea. Built on... more travel advice
nicolaitan's Related Pages
Ravello Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful Ravello"
- "A Village of Incomparable Beauty"
- "I've made it to those famous photos of Ravello!"
- "guell's Ravello page"
- "Ravello - Easy Side Trip from Amalfi"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ravello
- Hotels in Ravello
- Transportation in Ravello
- Restaurants in Ravello
- Shopping in Ravello
- Warnings and Dangers in Ravello
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ravello
- 6 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Ravello?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ravello
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Will you be able to view..."
- Commented on one of nicolaitan's Ravello travel pages
- Wrote a Review Magnificent 5 Star Hotel ( 5... in Ravello Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Magnificent 5 Star Hotel ( 5 photos)"
- updated a Ravello Travel Page "A Village of Incomparable Beauty"
Photos in RavelloSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 55 reviews, 283 photos, 6 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 53 reviews, 206 photos
- Vienna Intro, 48 reviews, 197 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 59 reviews, 175 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevsehir Ili Intro, 38 reviews, 185 photos, 3 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 57 reviews, 160 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 40 reviews, 167 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 42 reviews, 159 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 42 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues