"A Commercial Medieval Village" Gourdon by nicolaitan
Gourdon Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 41 photos
The tiny village of Gourdon is perched high on a mountain with spectacular views of the coastline and sea beyond, as well as of the Loup River Valley. With a population of approximately 400 it receives over a million visitors a year - a 4-lane divided highway climbs to the village from the west (Grasse) approach allowing for easy access for tour busses and all sorts of cars.It is about 35 km from Nice. Not only crowded, it is also expensive both at the restaurants and at the craft, clothing, and jewelry stores which line its streets. One cannot question the scenic position and quaint appearance - the beauty of the trip in from the east - up the Loup River Gorge - will make your day.
Gourdon has a long history, like all the medieval hill villages. With its strategic position, it was occupied by the Romans. The castle and adjacent gardens date from the 9th Century. Queen Victoria visited - the square that overlooks the coastal panorama is named in her honor.
Note on the things to do tip all the postcard stands and people. It is hard to believe that Gourdon has 4 VT pages and all those visitors. Check my Tourette-sur-Loup page, the only one on VT. Maybe 10 km away at the most - where would you rather be?
nicolaitan's Related Pages
Gourdon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gourdon, a picture-perfect stone village"
- "A Commercial Medieval Village"
- "Gourdon - uppermost on large cliff"
- "Gourdon sur loup"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Gourdon
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Gourdon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gourdon
Photos in GourdonSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 55 reviews, 283 photos, 6 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 53 reviews, 206 photos
- Vienna Intro, 48 reviews, 197 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 59 reviews, 175 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevsehir Ili Intro, 38 reviews, 185 photos, 3 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 57 reviews, 160 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 40 reviews, 167 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 42 reviews, 159 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 42 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues