"Who wants to be Shanghaied? I do..." Shanghai by stamporama
Shanghai Travel Guide: 3,162 reviews and 8,241 photos
The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines "shanghaied" as to put aboard a ship by force often with the help of liquor or a drug. The term even became the title of one of Charlie Chaplin's movies released in 1915. Why or how the adjective got associated with this city is not clear, although it is undoubtedly an important port city to where ships from the Pacific Ocean got to the inner reaches of China via the mighty Yangtze River.
Today, I don't think anybody would mind if they get shanghaied. For the place has earned its right to belong to those league of cities where its appeal emanates from the mixture of the old and the new bound by a major waterway, much like London, Paris, Hong Kong or Singapore.
East Nanjing Street is the city's prime shopping lane, and is filled with people practically every night but are noticeably just hanging around or browsing through. Its eastern end connects with the Bund, so many night strollers predictably start their leisurely walk from the Bund to the farthest point of East Nanjing St. or vice-versa.
In the daytime, should you wish to escape the smog and congestion to a more tranquil setting then head off to the Yuyuan Garden. However, to get to the actual garden means having to traverse the seeming endless gamut of souvenir and food stores with repetitious merchandise, all hungry for tourist cash.
But once inside the garden, the abstract rock formations, classical Chinese-style architecture, pools with hundreds of colorful carp, and lush greenery beckon you to stay for as long a time as possible.
As usual, I consulted the reviews in VT and Tripadvisor before I settled on this hotel. And as usual, I was not... more travel advice
stamporama's Related Pages
Shanghai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sex and the city... so to speak."
- "Essence of Shanghai"
- "Shanghai! Its a lively city"
- "5 Days in Shanghai"
- "Shanghai - a classic blend of the old and the new"
- "Check out my blog - www.shanghai-eats.com"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shanghai
- Hotels in Shanghai
- Transportation in Shanghai
- Nightlife in Shanghai
- Restaurants in Shanghai
- Shopping in Shanghai
- Warnings and Dangers in Shanghai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shanghai
- 2 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Shanghai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shanghai
Photos in ShanghaiSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Seoul Intro, 12 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaohsiung Intro, 9 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kyoto Intro, 6 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 4 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jeju (city) Intro, 6 reviews, 24 photos
- Japan Intro, 1 review, 28 photos, 3 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 5 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 5 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lisbon Intro, 1 review, 27 photos, 3 travelogues