"HAI! I got high over Tokyo..." Tokyo by stamporama
Tokyo Travel Guide: 4,349 reviews and 11,120 photos
There was a light rain the night we arrived in Tokyo as the weatherman predicted. The following morning however, it was bright and cloudy. I also hoped the temp would be a little cooler than back home but no -- it was just as warm and humid. Oh well, you can't have them all. But that did not diminish my excitement to be in yet another new country, and a dream one at that.
People are impressed by Singapore because it is an immaculately clean city and rightly so. After all, with so many trash bins around there's no reason for anyone to litter. But the Japanese impressed me even more -- they could keep their city so clean even if it's so damn hard to look for a trash bin. Lots of locals are heavy smokers yet you won't see a single cigarette butt anywhere.
This first impression left me with a face similar to the mask shown here, but sans the facial hair.
For me, Tokyo's layout sort of resembles San Francisco in some parts, New York City in others. What you won't find in either US city is the ubiquitous Shinto temple, like this one in Asakusa. Between the gate shown and the actual temple however is a lane of souvenir stores which is not typical of all the other shrines we visited elsewhere. So if you want to see a shrine and buy the usual Japanese souvenirs at the same time then this is the right place for you.
For a more sedate and less busy setting, we headed off to the Meiji shrine that's located inside a park so dense with trees you can easily forget you're in the middle of Tokyo. Meiji was a late 19th-century emperor who is credited with opening Japan to the world. One of the features of this shrine dedicated to him is this display of sake barrels. In Japan, sake holds special significance in relation to festivals and shrines which is why brewers donate these vats for display.
- Pros:Clean streets, polite people, punctual trains
- Cons:Expensive, expensive, expensive!
As of July 2010, the market has imposed a restriction to the number of visitors who could view the auctions. It has been... more travel advice
stamporama's Related Pages
Tokyo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "T o k y o"
- "Tragedy in Japan"
- "Tokyo - I love this place ! Old, New, & Happening"
- "Tokyo East Tokyo West"
- "Tune In Tokyo!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tokyo
- Hotels in Tokyo
- Transportation in Tokyo
- Nightlife in Tokyo
- Restaurants in Tokyo
- Shopping in Tokyo
- Warnings and Dangers in Tokyo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tokyo
- 2 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Tokyo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tokyo
Photos in TokyoSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Seoul Intro, 12 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaohsiung Intro, 9 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kyoto Intro, 6 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 4 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jeju (city) Intro, 6 reviews, 24 photos
- Japan Intro, 1 review, 28 photos, 3 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 5 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 5 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lisbon Intro, 1 review, 27 photos, 3 travelogues