"Capital attractions" New Delhi by stamporama
New Delhi Travel Guide: 1,141 reviews and 2,535 photos
Despite having a majority Hindu population, many of the ancient structures in and around Delhi were built by the early Moslem rulers, of which 3 of the most notables are the Jami Masjid, the Qutb Minar and Humayun's Tomb.
The Jami Masjid is the country's biggest mosque, with a courtyard that can fit in 20,000 devotees. Good thing we visited on a Saturday, as it would surely be a tight fit had we came a day earlier.
The other Moslem-built structure is India's highest single tower, the Qutb Minar (Arabic for pole). This is where the first Moslem kingdom was established in 1193. A feat of engineering given their skills and technology back then, it is listed as a World Heritage site.
If you wish to know from where the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan got the idea for building the Taj Mahal then look at Humayun's Tomb , another World Heritage lister . Just as the Taj was a mausoleum erected to the memory of a lost wife, so was this tomb built by the widow of Emperor Humayun. Notice the similarities in design, including the landscaping? The most notable difference is that Humayun's was made from red sandstone while the Taj was built of white marble.
- Pros:Terrific sights!
- Cons:Terrible streets!
Connaught Place is a big rotunda lined by restaurants (KFC, McDonald's, etc.) and stores that sell clothes (Western... more travel advice
The Hilton is of course a legacy brand so one would expect top-quality service and accommodations. The room is very... more travel advice
stamporama's Related Pages
New Delhi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "New Delhi - City of Contrasts"
- "NewDelhi- Capital of India.."
- "The capital city of my country"
- "Delhi- Past and Present"
- "New Delhi"
- "Meeting friends at New Delhi"
- "Political Heart of the World's Biggest Democracy"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Delhi
- Hotels in New Delhi
- Transportation in New Delhi
- Nightlife in New Delhi
- Restaurants in New Delhi
- Shopping in New Delhi
- Warnings and Dangers in New Delhi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Delhi
- 4 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to New Delhi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Delhi
Top 10 Pages
- Seoul Intro, 12 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaohsiung Intro, 9 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hanoi Intro, 4 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jeju (city) Intro, 6 reviews, 24 photos
- Beijing Intro, 5 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 5 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lisbon Intro, 1 review, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Phumi Siem Reab Intro, 5 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 2 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues