"Lone Pine - A Hang Glider's Paradise" Top 5 Page for this destination Lone Pine by travelgirl3
Lone Pine Travel Guide: 114 reviews and 281 photos
I was fortunate enough to find myself in Lone Pine for the first 3 nights of my California Road trip. It's a small town, but if you like the outdoors, its perfect. It's one of the best places in the US for Hang gliding, as a result of the exceptional Thermals rising from the desert floor, and their proximity to Cottonwood Mountain, a great launch spot. 2 Gliders flying from Walt's Point here hold World Records for longest flights to Austin, Nevada, more than 200 miles away. By the way, the 2 pilots - 1 guy, 1 girl!
If terra firma is more your style, take a drive to Whitney Portal, partway up Mount Whitney, the highest point in the continental US. From there, you can hike, fish, birdwatch and just enjoy being outside.
Lone Pine is also a great stopping point along the John Muir trail, and is close to and Independance, (of Charles Manson fame), and Devil's Postpile National Monument.
If you're along for the ride, follow me to Devil's Postpile National Monument. Everyone back on the bus!
- Pros:Nice oasis in the middle of the desert
- In a nutshell:A great place to camp & enjoy the desert scenery
Whitney Portal is located partway up Mt. Whitney, at an elevation of around 8,400'. It is one of the most popular hiking... more travel advice
From the same road up Cottonwood Mountain where you found the Hang gliders, you will also see the fabulous view of Owens... more travel advice
travelgirl3's Related Pages
Lone Pine Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A small town with a really big mountain"
- "Lone Pine"
- "Lone Pine - entrance to the highest Sierra"
- "Home of Old West Movies and the High Sierra"
- "Lone Pine - A Hang Glider's Paradise"
- "The Eastern Sierras started here for me"
- "LONE PINE, California."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lone Pine
- Hotels in Lone Pine
- Nightlife in Lone Pine
- Restaurants in Lone Pine
- Shopping in Lone Pine
- Warnings and Dangers in Lone Pine
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lone Pine
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Lone Pine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lone Pine
Photos in Lone PineSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- San Diego Intro, 26 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arenal Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos
- Great Guana Cay Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Punta Cana Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos
- Bodie Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Devils Postpile National Monument Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Isla Cozumel Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Niagara-on-the-Lake Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos