"Devil's Postpile National Monument" Top 5 Page for this destination Devils Postpile National Monument by travelgirl3

A most Unusual Sight

Days 4, 5 & 6 of my road trip were spent at Devil's Postpile National Monument. I happened across it quite by accident, as my original destination was Yosemite. But, as I was not on a schedule, I figured I'd stop by and see what it was all about.

What an amazing sight! The Postpile is made up of thousands of basalt columns formed by an even cooling of lava over 400' deep. The formation occured less than 100,000 years ago, and only 10,000 years ago, a huge glacier eroded away one side of the Postpile, exposing the columns. It also sheared off the tops of the columns, evening and polishing the surface.

Why are the columns 6-sided? Same reason as in a bees nest. A 6-sided object has the most structural strength and stability in nature.

For those of you on the tour, the bus to Yosemite is now boarding! Come along with us!

• Last visit to Devils Postpile National Monument: Jun 1989
  • Intro Updated Nov 26, 2004

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2013 at 6:10 AM

Nice page

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2005 at 7:08 AM

This sounds like a perfect place to relax and enjoy nature. Interesting abou the six sides. I learned something today! Thanks for your great pages. Marcia

• goingsolo's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2005 at 2:33 PM

Very interesting page! I missed this place when visiting Yosemite. Enjoyed reading about your adventures. :)

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2005 at 1:37 PM

Trout in butter - my husband would love the fishing - me the hiking Good page

• starship's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2005 at 6:15 PM

Penny, great job on this fascinating place! Saw some pictures of similar but larger columns I think in Ireland! Love the animal photos--great page!

• Elena_007's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2005 at 7:13 PM

Interesting pages, Penny. That squirrel looks dangerous... just kidding, but now a hungry bear is another matter entirely! You sure are brave, travelgirl. ~Elaine~

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2005 at 10:26 AM

I really enjoyed this page, thanks.....re the squirrels Id be more scared of fleas than plague LOL

• Darby2's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2005 at 8:46 AM

Reminds me of the many basalt lava formations in Wells Gray Park, and Lone Butte in B.C.

travelgirl3

“Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.”

Badges & Stats in Devils Postpile National Monument

Have you been to Devils Postpile National Monument?

Latest Activity in Devils Postpile National Monument