"Bodie" Bodie by travelgirl3

Bodie Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 106 photos

"Goodbye God, I've gone to Bodie"

So said a young girl when she learned her father had decided to move the family to Bodie so he could join the miners looking for his fortune. At one time, the town boasted 2 Churches, but 65 Saloons!

According to this sign:

"Gold was discovered here in 1859 by W.S. Bodey after whom the town was named. Once the most thriving metropolis of the Mono Country, Bodie's mines produced gold valued at more than 100 million dolllars. Tough as nails, "The bad man from Bodie" still carries his guns and Bowie knife down through the pages of Western history."

The last stop on the Road Trip

Well, there you have it. If you just dropped in to see Bodie, I hope you enjoyed your visit. If you were along for the full Road Trip, I hope your eyes were opened as much as mine were. It was a trip I'll never forget, and posting it here for you to enjoy has brought back a lot of memories.

In the words of John Muir, "These beautiful days enrich all my life. They do not exist as mere pictures...but live always."

Thanks for joining me.

• Last visit to Bodie: Jun 1989
  • Intro Updated Dec 1, 2004

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2006 at 5:44 AM

Way cool. Bodie is one of the remaining 4 historic mining towns I want to visit.

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2005 at 12:52 PM

Hi Penny. Bodie is a fun place, but then, I LOVE California, especially the food and climate. Thanks for the visit! Marcia

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2005 at 12:41 PM

A little ghost town in the middle of nowhere - just the kind of place we would love to explore. The tufa towers on Mono lake are fascinating, but I could do without the flies.

• Feb 11, 2005 at 9:31 AM

Wow - nice page! I'd love to peek around in some of those buildings. Looks like a time capsule

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2005 at 9:20 PM

Great photos. We went to Bodie last summer and loved it. It is one of the most underrated tourist sights in the US.

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2005 at 2:17 PM

Bodie is really cool in the Winter:-) Plus, the gold mine is now owned by .... Canadians:-\

• cazz38's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2004 at 8:42 AM

What a lovely place to visit,really nice pictures.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2004 at 3:34 PM

I love your Bodie page! Wasn't Bodie so cool? or "Hot!"...lol! We didn't venture around too much, had baby in tow in a stroller. What a little trooper he is!!!

• where2next's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2004 at 2:38 PM

I never knew Bodie was right there. I had visited Mono Lake and unknowingly passed right by on my way from the lake to Reno. On our tour of Mono Lake the guide offered us to try (i.e. taste) some of the flies - wasn't so bad!!!

• Goner's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2004 at 8:52 PM

Bodie is spooky, but the real thing so to speak. Great pics here too, especially of Mono Lake.

travelgirl3

“Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.”

Badges & Stats in Bodie