"Punta Cana, Dominican Republic" Top 5 Page for this destination Punta Cana by travelgirl3

Punta Cana Travel Guide: 430 reviews and 1,030 photos

In February '03, we travelled to the Dominican Republic for the first time. Like Cuba, the DR is very popular with Canadians, so on a whim, we booked a list minute trip and started packing. We stayed in Punta Cana, which is on the East Coast, and is one of the newer tourist areas in the DR.

Punta Cana has some of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen! With it's sugar-like sand, and overhanging palm trees, it truly is paradise! You can walk for miles, and once you get a little ways away from the resorts, it can be very private too.

On our first visit, we stayed at the Occidental Allegro Punta Cana, a wonderful little resort. Due to its positioning on the beach, there are only 2 other resorts, 1 on either side, then the fishing village of Cabeza del Toro, then a beach that goes on and on.

We had such a wonderful time that we couldn't wait to go back again, but wanted to try a larger resort. We have stayed at the Barcelo resort in Mexico, and were impressed with their quality and level of service. Because of this, Barcelo's tend to book fast, so by August when the brochures came out, we had booked for April '04. I've never booked anything that far in advance, but when you know what you want, you go for it!

The Barcelo didn't let us down. Once again, we enjoyed a another fabulous week on the beach in Punta Cana. It is a wonderful place to relax and soak up the sun and the waves. You can't beat it!

Wonderful People

The Dominican people are wonderful, happy, and seem to have a real joie de vivre. One day, I was taking a picture and a resort worker snuck up behind me and tickled my ankle, making me jump thinking it was a bug! He laughed and laughed!! And so did I!

They are full of laughter, and you can always hear somebody singing. When you think of how little money they make, it really makes you think about how we have it all, and still aren't happy - it certainly helps to keep things in perspective

• Pros:Beaches, palm trees, the wonderful people
  • Cons:The food can be questionable. The DR is a 3rd world country still trying to educate resort workers on proper hygiene, especially in the kitchens.
  • In a nutshell:It's Paradise, but bring Immodium!!
  • Last visit to Punta Cana: Apr 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 27, 2004

• Nov 20, 2006 at 1:41 PM

BS. Are the public housing projects of NYC o& Chicago typical US homes? What you show is a typical RURAL & POOR Dominican home. Most Dominicans live in cities, in apartments, houses, and even high-rises (shocking?). Don't perpetuate ignorant stereotypes

• ctorres1979's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2006 at 10:19 AM

Thanks for all your great Punta Cana tips!! Going there next weekend! Thanks so much for your great insights!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2005 at 7:27 PM

A two hour horseback ride sounds idyllic! Nice glimpse of Punta Cana...

• beret's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2005 at 8:58 AM

Immodium indeed! Nothing like a good dose of gastrointestinal malaise to get your attention on vacation. Not to mention that all sights to be seen must be with in 50 metres of the loo!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2005 at 10:17 AM

Had to return to this page for one more look at those gorgeous beaches! I love snorkeling but am always in fear of sharks! Thanks for visiting my pages!

• Mar 10, 2005 at 7:32 PM

Really love your Punta Cana page - very helpful. Also think you have a great attitude towards respecting local customs and bringing something for the locals. Good luck in all your travels!

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2005 at 7:14 PM

I revisited your page, Penny. I needed to see somewhere warm. It's cold tonight, even in north Florida. BTW, I'm with you on the diving bit. If I went diving in the ocean, I'd constantly be hearing that Jaws music.

• joefred28's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2005 at 12:03 PM

This place must truly be paradise on earth. Great page, and thanks for your advice. Joe.

• YolandaC's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2005 at 4:59 PM

Heading to Punta Cana on a whim - the weather made me do it! Thanks for all the great info!

• windsorgirl's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2004 at 8:16 AM

Great photos from Punta Cana, I am in desperate need of a winter vacation....can't stand the cold! This may be the spot, thanks for the tips.

travelgirl3

“Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.”

Badges & Stats in Punta Cana

Have you been to Punta Cana?

Latest Activity in Punta Cana