"Punta Cana, Dominican Republic" Top 5 Page for this destination Punta Cana by travelgirl3
Punta Cana Travel Guide: 430 reviews and 1,030 photos
In February '03, we travelled to the Dominican Republic for the first time. Like Cuba, the DR is very popular with Canadians, so on a whim, we booked a list minute trip and started packing. We stayed in Punta Cana, which is on the East Coast, and is one of the newer tourist areas in the DR.
Punta Cana has some of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen! With it's sugar-like sand, and overhanging palm trees, it truly is paradise! You can walk for miles, and once you get a little ways away from the resorts, it can be very private too.
On our first visit, we stayed at the Occidental Allegro Punta Cana, a wonderful little resort. Due to its positioning on the beach, there are only 2 other resorts, 1 on either side, then the fishing village of Cabeza del Toro, then a beach that goes on and on.
We had such a wonderful time that we couldn't wait to go back again, but wanted to try a larger resort. We have stayed at the Barcelo resort in Mexico, and were impressed with their quality and level of service. Because of this, Barcelo's tend to book fast, so by August when the brochures came out, we had booked for April '04. I've never booked anything that far in advance, but when you know what you want, you go for it!
The Barcelo didn't let us down. Once again, we enjoyed a another fabulous week on the beach in Punta Cana. It is a wonderful place to relax and soak up the sun and the waves. You can't beat it!
The Dominican people are wonderful, happy, and seem to have a real joie de vivre. One day, I was taking a picture and a resort worker snuck up behind me and tickled my ankle, making me jump thinking it was a bug! He laughed and laughed!! And so did I!
They are full of laughter, and you can always hear somebody singing. When you think of how little money they make, it really makes you think about how we have it all, and still aren't happy - it certainly helps to keep things in perspective
- Pros:Beaches, palm trees, the wonderful people
- Cons:The food can be questionable. The DR is a 3rd world country still trying to educate resort workers on proper hygiene, especially in the kitchens.
- In a nutshell:It's Paradise, but bring Immodium!!
This is not one the activities included in your All-Inclusive vacation, but it certainly will be available to you. Be... more travel advice
If you're up for it, check to see if there is horseback riding at or near your resort. It is very common in the... more travel advice
travelgirl3's Related Pages
Punta Cana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Punta Cana, Dominican Republic"
- "Punta Cana"
- "With friends and husband on a great trip"
- "punta cana"
- "A week in paradise"
- "Souvenirs from the Dominican By Umfufu"
- "Beach Life"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Punta Cana
- Hotels in Punta Cana
- Transportation in Punta Cana
- Nightlife in Punta Cana
- Restaurants in Punta Cana
- Shopping in Punta Cana
- Warnings and Dangers in Punta Cana
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Punta Cana
- 19 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 17 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Punta Cana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Punta Cana
Photos in Punta CanaSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- San Diego Intro, 26 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arenal Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos
- Great Guana Cay Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Punta Cana Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos
- Bodie Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Devils Postpile National Monument Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Isla Cozumel Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Niagara-on-the-Lake Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos