"Lake Arenal, the Volcano and the Rainforest" Top 5 Page for this destination Arenal by travelgirl3
Arenal Travel Guide: 90 reviews and 157 photos
While planning our wedding, I was flipping through travel brochures, trying to decide on the perfect honeymoon destination. When I discovered a 2 week Costa Rican adventure, divided between the rainforest at Arenal and the beach at Papagayo, I knew I'd found the ultimate vacation.
In addition to hikes through the Rainforest, and activities at the Lodge, we also had day trips to Arenal Volcano, the town of Fortuna, Venado Caves and Tabacon Hot Springs.
Ok, I'm the first to admit that spending a week in the jungle may not be everybody's idea of the perfect honeymoon. But Travelguy and I have always enjoyed travel, adventure and nature so for us, it was perfect. In fact, we enjoyed it so much, and were so busy, that when we spent our second week in the luxury of the resort on the beach, we were somewhat bored after the first 3 days.
We absolutely loved the Eco-Lodge where we stayed. It was small and comfortable, like staying at your best friend's cottage. The food was excellent, and the staff went out of their way to make your stay perfect. Our days were spent with an early morning walk in the mist, followed by a hearty breakfast, then another hike. After lunch, perhaps some reading on the front porch, or a trip into Tilaran. Whatever we felt like, the staff made it possible. On our last night, they had a little party, including the spouses of the staff, and we listened to typical Costa Rican music, and tried to dance like the locals. When that proved unsuccessful, we just sat and watched them, and enjoyed some cocktails. What a night!
- Pros:Fabulous - the staff couldn't do enough for us
- Cons:When we had to leave
- In a nutshell:Planning to take the kids in a couple of years!
While walking along one of the paths, we noticed these big ant hills off to the side, so Hubby had to go and... more travel advice
The Great Room at the Lodge is the centre of the activities. Here you can play pool, shoot some darts, play board games,... more travel advice
travelgirl3's Related Pages
Arenal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lake Arenal, the Volcano and the Rainforest"
- "Arenal Volcano Adventure"
- "Adventure and Relaxation in the Fiery Arenal"
- "The Unknown Arenal"
- "You could call it adventure tourism"
- "Under the volcano"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arenal
- Hotels in Arenal
- Transportation in Arenal
- Nightlife in Arenal
- Restaurants in Arenal
- Shopping in Arenal
- Warnings and Dangers in Arenal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Arenal
- 28 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Arenal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arenal
Top 10 Pages
- San Diego Intro, 26 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arenal Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos
- Great Guana Cay Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Punta Cana Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos
- Bodie Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Devils Postpile National Monument Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Isla Cozumel Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Niagara-on-the-Lake Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
Latest Arenal hotel reviews
- Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort
- 1276 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- The Springs Resort & Spa
- 972 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Hotel Coloso Arenal
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 2, 2013
- Montana De Fuego Hotel
- 284 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Eco Lodge Resort and Hotel
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 8, 2013
- Arenal Vista Lodge
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 19, 2013