"Lake Arenal, the Volcano and the Rainforest" Top 5 Page for this destination Arenal by travelgirl3

Arenal Travel Guide: 106 reviews and 262 photos

Honeymoon in Paradise

While planning our wedding, I was flipping through travel brochures, trying to decide on the perfect honeymoon destination. When I discovered a 2 week Costa Rican adventure, divided between the rainforest at Arenal and the beach at Papagayo, I knew I'd found the ultimate vacation.

In addition to hikes through the Rainforest, and activities at the Lodge, we also had day trips to Arenal Volcano, the town of Fortuna, Venado Caves and Tabacon Hot Springs.

Ok, I'm the first to admit that spending a week in the jungle may not be everybody's idea of the perfect honeymoon. But Travelguy and I have always enjoyed travel, adventure and nature so for us, it was perfect. In fact, we enjoyed it so much, and were so busy, that when we spent our second week in the luxury of the resort on the beach, we were somewhat bored after the first 3 days.

We absolutely loved the Eco-Lodge where we stayed. It was small and comfortable, like staying at your best friend's cottage. The food was excellent, and the staff went out of their way to make your stay perfect. Our days were spent with an early morning walk in the mist, followed by a hearty breakfast, then another hike. After lunch, perhaps some reading on the front porch, or a trip into Tilaran. Whatever we felt like, the staff made it possible. On our last night, they had a little party, including the spouses of the staff, and we listened to typical Costa Rican music, and tried to dance like the locals. When that proved unsuccessful, we just sat and watched them, and enjoyed some cocktails. What a night!

• Pros:Fabulous - the staff couldn't do enough for us
  • Cons:When we had to leave
  • In a nutshell:Planning to take the kids in a couple of years!
  • Last visit to Arenal: Apr 1991
  • Intro Updated Jan 8, 2005

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2010 at 5:30 AM

Nice little page on Arenal. A note on the snake, though the picture is a bit dark, it looks to be a Tropical Rattler. Nasty, but as so as the Fer de Lance.

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2007 at 11:56 AM

Hello Penny! Whata wonderful page on Arenal! I really enjoyed my virtual tour with you. Happy birthday from Finland!

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2005 at 3:25 PM

Wow! Two weeks for a honeymoon! What wonderful memories. Thanks for sharing it with us.

• madamx's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2005 at 2:03 PM

Great page, Penny. I can see your husband follows instructions very well like mine ;o) We are torn between Costa Rica and Kauai for our anniversary next year ....

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2005 at 4:16 PM

Horseback riding and seeing howler monkeys sounds like a great trip - good for you for being so adventurous on your honeymoon! I'm eager to spend more time in the tropical jungle, except for those darn snakes...

• tpal's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2005 at 9:02 AM

Ok Penny, You see Carol really wants to go to C.R. but mostly I like sidewalks. Couldn't you make your warning a little worse...she likes all that stuff! What to do? You obviously had entirely too much fun...Tom

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2005 at 5:43 AM

Great page on Costa Rica. It looks like you had a very nice honeymoon.

• jag17's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2004 at 11:10 AM

Thanks for stopping by. My friend and I loved Arenal, and wished we had a few extra days there. Nice page!

• EllenH's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2004 at 9:47 AM

The lodge sounds wonderful. I really HATE snakes though.

• saraheg77's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2004 at 1:27 PM

Looks like a great honeymoon spot... except for the snakes! :) And the lime chips sound yummy! Nice tips! Sarah =)

travelgirl3

“Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.”

Badges & Stats in Arenal