"Dianna's Sandusky page" Top 5 Page for this destination Sandusky by Mayna76

Sandusky Travel Guide: 108 reviews and 215 photos

All my life...

I've lived in Sandusky from the time I was born until I moved out permanently at 19. I live in Columbus now, but my family still lives in Sandusky, so I go up there frequently. I wanted to put Sandusky on my page to hopefully offer some newcomers some tips on going to Sandusky that they may not find from other people.

People come from far and near to go to Cedar Point. I worked there back in high school, and went every single year until just a few years ago. I cannot ride roller coasters anymore (I get a headache from it while they used to be fun) so we don't go anymore.

In my opinion, if you can't ride the fast rides at Cedar Point, there isn't a whole lot of point in going. Their shows are mundane and mediocre anymore, and they have taken out many slow rides that made the park fun for the non fast-ride riders. (Senior citizens, etc.)

However, if you can't ride the rides and still want to visit the Sandusky area, there are a TON of things to do that don't involve Cedar Point.

1. Cedar Point beach is FREE. Drive around the point (go straight towards the marina and around the perimeter of the point to get there. It's by the hotels.

2. Booze cruise. I've not been on one, but the people who have claim they're loads of fun. A floating bar. You need to go to the downtown docks area for information.

3. Lake Erie Islands. There are boats that will cruise you from one island to another, giving you a day to spend some time on each one. Put in Bay being the main attraction. Alternatively, you can take a ferry and stay at any of them for a night or so.

4. Downtown docks. They have a great view of Lake Erie, great view of Cedar Point from afar. There's usually a few people fishing off of them. Generally fairly peaceful and nice to "hang out".

5. Shopping. While the mall is mediocre at best, there is a new Harley Davidson building just built that I hear is a must see, even if you're not a big Harley fan. The Harley Davidson building is located on rt 250, near the rt 2 overpass.

6. Edison birthplace. Located in Milan (15-20 mins south of downtown Sandusky), Thomas Edison was born in Milan, Ohio. They have a nifty museum and lots of old relics.

7. Marblehead lighthouse. Located on the Marblehead peninsula (about 20-30 mins west of downtown Sandusky), the Marblehead lighthouse is beautiful to visit.

8. Merry-go-Round museum. Located in the old Sandusky post office (I remember when it was actually a post office), they've got a working merry-go-round, as well as a carousel horse carver on site. It's very interesting, and the horses they have in there are famous ones pictured on postage stamps.

• Pros:Quaint small town, much more than just Cedar Point
  • Cons:You have to get out of the town for more sightseeing.
  • In a nutshell:More than just roller coasters
  • Intro Written Apr 26, 2004

Comments

Mayna76

“group tours? who needs em!”

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Sandusky

Have you been to Sandusky?

Latest Activity in Sandusky