"Warwickshire" Top 5 Page for this destination Warwickshire by grayfo
Warwickshire Travel Guide: 971 reviews and 2,616 photos
Warwickshire is the heart of England with a lot of history within its towns, Royal Leamington Spa (a medium-sized Georgian town), Stratford-upon-Avon (birthplace of Shakespeare), Warwick (home to probably the finest castle in Britain) and Kenilworth (a smaller, more genteel, castle town). The county is home to a number of pretty market towns such as Alcester, Henley-in-Arden, Shipston- on-Stour and Southam on the river Stowe. Warwickshire also has excellent road, rail and air links from Birmingham, London, Manchester and Bristol.
Must see attractions include Warwick Castle, Kenilworth Castle, Shakespeare’s Stratford-upon-Avon , Coombe Abbey, the Heritage Motor Centre and the Lord Leycester Hospital to name nut a few.
Did You Know
The county town of Warwickshire is Warwick.
Stop Press: -
Warwickshire has come out as one of Europe’s top 10 destinations in the latest Lonely Planet travel guide. The county was ranked sixth in the top 10 list - and is the only UK entry.
Heritage and Culture, Warwickshire
The coat of arms consists of a red background centered by a muzzled silver bear standing and holding a ragged to which the bear is secured by a gold collar and chain. The top has a wide gold band upon which are three red crosslets. Above the shield is a gold crown, whilst below the motto in Latin.
The arms were granted to Warwickshire County Council 7th July 1931.
Henley in Arden
The flag of Warwickshire is a banner of the Coat of Arms of the Earl of Warwick, and shows the bear and ragged staff which is believed to derive from two legendary Earls, Arthal and Morvidus. Arthal meaning bear, while Morvidus who was believed to have slain a giant with a young ash tree torn up by the roots.
- Pros:Shakespeare's county
- Cons:A long way to the coast
- In a nutshell:Motto: Non Sanz Droict (Not Without Right)
Whitnash is a small growing town about a mile to the south of Leamington Spa, with the town itself occupies a strip of... more travel advice
LNER Gresley D49 “Shire/Hunt” Class The LNER Shire or Hunt class locomotives are a group of 4-4-0 steam locomotives... more travel advice
grayfo's Related Pages
Warwickshire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "More Than Shakespeare"
- "~~~~~~ Wild In the Country ~~~~~~>"
- "Warwickshire: Where the Castles Are"
- "Shakespeare's County"
- "Warwick Castle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Warwickshire
- Hotels in Warwickshire
- Transportation in Warwickshire
- Nightlife in Warwickshire
- Restaurants in Warwickshire
- Shopping in Warwickshire
- Warnings and Dangers in Warwickshire
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Warwickshire
- 103 Reviews
- 153 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Warwickshire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Warwickshire
Photos in WarwickshireSee All Photos (153)
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 40 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 36 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Leamington Spa Intro, 38 reviews, 59 photos, 6 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 37 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wichita Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- England Intro, 29 reviews, 33 photos
- Kos Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues