"Minnesota – Gopher State" Minnesota by grayfo
Minnesota Travel Guide: 2,928 reviews and 5,730 photos
Minnesota is the twelfth largest state of the U.S. and with more than 12,000 lakes within its borders has become a popular choice attracting thousands of visitors each year. The source of the Mississippi was discovered in Minnesota at Lake Itasca, where it begins its 2,552-mile journey to the sea.
Must see cities and attractions include: Lake Superior and the Superior National Forest, North Shore Drive, International Wolf Center, Mall of America and Split Rock Lighthouse to name but a few.
The state capital is Saint Paul and the largest city is Minneapolis.
Did You Know
The Gopher State is so called because of the striped gopher, a common species throughout Minnesota’s prairie region.
The State of Minnesota is named after the Minnesota River so named by the Dakota Sioux, with the Dakota word "mnishota" meaning "cloudy" or "milky water."
People who live in Minnesota or who come from Minnesota are called Minnesotans.
The Great Seal of the State of Minnesota shows a barefoot farmer ploughing his field near St. Anthony Falls on the Mississippi River. His axe is driven into a tree trunk, with his rifle and powderhorn nearby. An Indian on horseback rides south, a summer setting sun in the background. The state motto, "L'Etoile du Nord" (French for "Star of the North"), appears on a banner above the scenery. Around these images is the outermost ring, which reads "The Great Seal of the State of Minnesota". The bottom of the outer ring contains the date 1858, which is when Minnesota gained statehood.
Minnesota’s Flag is royal blue, with a gold fringe. At the centre is the state seal. Around the state seal is a wreath of the state flower, the lady slipper. Three dates are woven into the wreath: 1858, the year Minnesota became a state; 1819, the year Fort Snelling was established; and 1893, the year the official flag was adopted. The inner circle is surrounded by 19 five pointed stars representing Minnesota (the largest star) as the 19th state.
- In a nutshell:Motto: The Star of the North
Originally the Dakota were the dominant Native American culture throughout area but during the 1700's, the encroaching... more travel advice
Gavia immer The Common Loon became the official state bird symbol of Minnesota in 1961. Minnesota has more loons... more travel advice
grayfo's Related Pages
Minnesota Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where I live--the land of 10,000 lakes"
- "Minnesota Back Roads and Byways"
- "Minnesota – Gopher State"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Minnesota
- Hotels in Minnesota
- Transportation in Minnesota
- Nightlife in Minnesota
- Restaurants in Minnesota
- Shopping in Minnesota
- Warnings and Dangers in Minnesota
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Minnesota
- 31 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Minnesota?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Minnesota
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 40 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 36 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Leamington Spa Intro, 38 reviews, 59 photos, 6 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 37 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wichita Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- England Intro, 29 reviews, 33 photos
- Kos Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues