"Kansas ? Sunflower State" Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas by grayfo
Kansas Travel Guide: 2,298 reviews and 5,313 photos
Kansas is a region of plains and prairie that is the breadbasket of the country, growing more wheat than any other state in the union. For thousands of years Kansas was home to a large variety of Native American tribes, those in the West were nomadic tribes who hunted the vast herds of bison whilst those in the East lived in villages along the river banks. Kansas became the first battlefield in the conflict in the American Civil War.
Must see cities and attractions include: Rock City, Monument Rocks and Wichita to name but a few.
Did You Know
The state capital is Topeka and the largest city is Wichita.
The Sunflower State is so called because of the wild sunflowers that grow in profusion across the state; the Sunflower is also the official State Flower of Kansas.
The State of Kansas is named after the Kansas River which flows through it, which in turn was named after the Kansa tribe, who were the local inhabitants.
People who live in or come from Kansas are called Kansans.
Official Travel and Tourism Website
Kansas on the Net
The Kansas seal pictures rich Kansas farmland, a farmer ploughing, covered wagons, Native Americans hunting bison, a rising sun, a steamboat (representing commerce) on the water (beneath the sun and the mountains), 34 stars (since Kansas was the 34th state in the USA).
Kansas' official flag was adopted in 1927. The flag has a blue field, the word "KANSAS," the sunflower (Kansas' state flower), and the state seal of Kansas, see description above.
- In a nutshell:Motto: To the Stars Through Difficulties
What today is referred to as the Wild West had its origins in Kansas, the slaughter of buffalo, cattle drives,... more travel advice
Sturnella neglecta The Western Meadowlark became the state bird of Kansas on January 29, 1925 (Kansas Day) after a vote... more travel advice
grayfo's Related Pages
Kansas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kansas, My Home"
- "Eastern Kansas - Interesting!"
- "Kansas Back Roads and Byways"
- "Welcome to Wichita"
- "Kansas ? Sunflower State"
- "For The Travel Connoisseur"
- "KANSAS ? ?THERE?S NO PLACE LIKE HOME!?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kansas
- Hotels in Kansas
- Transportation in Kansas
- Nightlife in Kansas
- Restaurants in Kansas
- Shopping in Kansas
- Warnings and Dangers in Kansas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kansas
- 38 Reviews
- 77 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Kansas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kansas
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 40 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 37 reviews, 67 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Leamington Spa Intro, 38 reviews, 59 photos, 6 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 37 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wichita Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- England Intro, 29 reviews, 33 photos
- Kos Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues