"Iowa - Hawkeye State" Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa by grayfo
Iowa Travel Guide: 1,108 reviews and 2,633 photos
Iowa the 29th state (as of December 28, 1846) is a state located in the Mid-west, part of the American Heartland. Iowa is one of the foremost farming states in the United States. One fifth of the nation's corn harvest is produced in Iowa.
The state capital and the largest city is Des Moines
The Hawkeye State is so called because it was said to have come from the scout, Hawkeye, in James Fenimore Cooper's “The Last of the Mohicans” published in 1826.
The state of Iowa was named after the Iowa River, the river was named after the Iowa Indians who lived in the territory.
People who live in Iowa or who come from Iowa are called Iowans.
Official Government Website
Official Tourist Website
Living in Iowa
The Great Seal of the State of Iowa was made official in 1847. At the centre is an eagle carrying in its beak blue streamers with the state motto, "Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain", inscribed on it in white letters." In the middle of the seal, a soldier stands in a field of wheat, holding an American flag. A cultivator rests in the field behind him, smoke trails from the chimney of a small cabin, and a ship steams through the water in the background.
The Iowa Regimental Flag was adopted in 1921. The flag is a tri-colour design, white symbolises the unwritten page of history at the state's beginning, blue represents loyalty, justice, and truth and red stands for courage. At the centre is an eagle carrying in its beak blue streamers with the state motto, "Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain", inscribed on it in white letters. The State name "IOWA" is printed in red letters below the eagle.
- In a nutshell:Motto: Our liberties we prize and our rights we will maintain.
The first known records of Iowa were documented by two European explorers, Jacques Marquette and Louis Jolliet who... more travel advice
Carduelis tristis The Eastern Goldfinch was designated as the official state bird in 1933. It is commonly found in Iowa... more travel advice
grayfo's Related Pages
Iowa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "RURAL NEXUS OF AMERICA"
- "Iowa Page"
- "Basaic Iowa Page"
- "Iowa - Hawkeye State"
- "melissaK's Iowa Page"
- "Iowa's Time to Shine: Caucus 2007-2008"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Iowa
- Hotels in Iowa
- Transportation in Iowa
- Nightlife in Iowa
- Restaurants in Iowa
- Shopping in Iowa
- Warnings and Dangers in Iowa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Iowa
- 6 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Iowa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Iowa
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 38 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 37 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Leamington Spa Intro, 34 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wichita Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kos Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Marostica Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Stratford-upon-Avon Intro, 20 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues