"Barry" Barry by grayfo
Barry Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 260 photos
Barry is a traditional seaside resort, with attractions including several beaches and Barry Island Pleasure Park. Over 100 years ago, Barry was comprised of three small villages and a few scattered farms in three parishes - Barry, Merthyr Dyfan and Cadoxton. The total population in 1881 was 488, by the 1920's the population of Barry was up to its current figure of around 40,000.
People who live in or who come from Barry are called Barrians.
Local News Online
The coat of arms consists of three pairs of bars under two fleurs-de-lis and above the red dragon of Wales. The ship with its sails of black diamonds refers to the coal that was exported from Barry. The arms were originally granted to Barry Borough Council in October 1939 and transferred to the Town Council in April 1976.
- In a nutshell:Motto: CADERNID CYFIAWNDER CYNNYDD - Stability, justice, progress
The main beach on Barry Island is Whitmore Bay which has a large expanse of sand at low tide. There is plenty to do,... more travel advice
Cenotaph In the 1920?s the people of Barry decided that they needed a suitable memorial for those that had given... more travel advice
grayfo's Related Pages
Barry Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Barry and Barry Island"
- "Cymru am byth...Wales forever"
- "Looking for Stacy"
- "A glimpse of Barry"
- "Barry - for seaside resorts"
- "The Home of Gavin and Stacey"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barry
- Hotels in Barry
- Transportation in Barry
- Nightlife in Barry
- Restaurants in Barry
- Shopping in Barry
- Warnings and Dangers in Barry
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barry
- 6 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Barry?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barry
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 40 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 37 reviews, 67 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Leamington Spa Intro, 39 reviews, 60 photos, 6 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 23 reviews, 64 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 37 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wichita Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- England Intro, 29 reviews, 33 photos
- Kos Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues