"Birmingham" Top 5 Page for this destination Birmingham by grayfo
Birmingham Travel Guide: 792 reviews and 1,330 photos
Birmingham is the UK’s second largest city, it is a diverse and dynamic city, with its fascinating history and world-class cultural scene, combined with superb shopping, major international events and exhibitions and great nightlife. Birmingham's Chinatown boasts a wide range of restaurants and interesting specialist supermarkets, and for Asian food, there is the Balti.
Must see sights/attractions include: the Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery, the Jewellery Quarter, St Martin in the Bull Ring and the Town Hall to name but a few.
Did You Know
Birmingham is known by locals as “Brum”
People who live in or who come from Birmingham are called Brummies
James Watt first commercially manufactured his steam engine in Birmingham
Hotels and Attraction
Photo Tour of Birmingham
News, Entertainment, Sport etc.
The coat of arms of Birmingham were incorporated in 1838 and was it adopted from the armorial bearings of the de Bermingham family (Lords of the manor from the Norman Conquest of 1532). In 1899, when Birmingham was granted city status, it gained the right to add supporters to the shield. Minor adjustments were made in 1936. The arms were again granted on May 10, 1977 after the addition of Sutton Coldfield. A new Coat of Arms was adopted in 1976. To the old arms a bishops mitre (commemorating the 16th century Bishop Vesey) was added to the centre of the shield and the Tudor Rose (marking Henry VIII's granting of a charter to Sutton Coldfield in 1528) on the mural crown.
Chicago - USA
Frankfurt am Main - Germany
Johannesburg – South Africa
Leipzig - Germany
Lyon - France
Milan - Italy
The flag of Birmingham is divided into quarters, the top left and bottom right show a diagonal line of five yellow diamonds on a blue background taken from the arms of the de Bermingham family. The top right and bottom left show quarters that are divided vertically with a zig-zag line, yellow on the left and red on the right and are taken from the arms of another branch of the same Bermingham family. The cross of ermine was included to mark the incorporation of Edgbaston into the city and is taken from the arms of the Calthorpe family but also represents Sutton Coldfield another area of the city. Within the centre of the ermine cross is a mitre and represents John Harmanor Vesey, Bishop of Exeter in the sixteenth century, who was born in Sutton Coldfield.
- Pros:England’s Second City
- In a nutshell:Motto: Forward
The Bull Ring Open Market provides a lively and attractive selection of goods with each stall being designed to entice... more travel advice
Dog Show Crufts, the annual dog show presented by The Kennel Club is the largest show of its kind in the world. Crufts... more travel advice
grayfo's Related Pages
Birmingham Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Birmingham, England ~~~~ original brum!"
- "Big Bad Brum, now Big Bling Brum"
- "Birmingham: My Home!"
- "~ A Weekend In Birmingham ~"
- "J_P_B's Birmingham Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Birmingham
- Hotels in Birmingham
- Transportation in Birmingham
- Nightlife in Birmingham
- Restaurants in Birmingham
- Shopping in Birmingham
- Warnings and Dangers in Birmingham
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Birmingham
- 24 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Birmingham?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Birmingham
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 40 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 36 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Leamington Spa Intro, 38 reviews, 59 photos, 6 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 37 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wichita Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- England Intro, 29 reviews, 33 photos
- Kos Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues