"Chester" Chester by grayfo
Chester Travel Guide: 478 reviews and 1,221 photos
Chester is an English historic city that lies on the River Dee close to the border with Wales. Chester was founded as a castrum or Roman fort with the name Deva Victix in the year 79 by the Romans. After the Romans, Chester developed into a busy port trading with Dublin, unfortunately the river Dee silted up and trade declined leaving the city's development frozen. Today Chester as a city is a major tourist attraction with great shopping.
Chester Tourist Information
Online City Guide
The Coat of Arms of Chester has been in use since the 14th Century and are based on the Royal Arms of England (three golden lions on a red shield) combined with the arms of the Earldom of Chester (three gold wheatsheaves on blue). The crest and supporters were granted in 1580, the sword in the crest is part of the Lord Mayor's regalia, and the two oak branches are for the two rural districts. The supporters are the gold lion of England and the silver wolf of Hugh Lupus, 1st earl of Chester.
In 1975 a gold bordure charged with acorns, representing the rural areas and two castles were added for heraldic difference, these changes were made to reflect the larger size of the new City.
- In a nutshell:Motto: Let the ancients worship the ancient of days
The History and Heritage Centre is the place to go for finding out about the history of Chester or discovering if you... more travel advice
Family restaurant that operates under the Chef and Brewer, the Hinderton Arms is a pub that can trace its roots back as... more travel advice
grayfo's Related Pages
Chester Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE ROMAN CITY OF DEVA"
- "A City of History"
- "In Search of Romans"
- "Roman Chester"
- "Enchanting Chester"
- "Black (and White) Beauty Chester"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chester
- Hotels in Chester
- Transportation in Chester
- Nightlife in Chester
- Restaurants in Chester
- Shopping in Chester
- Warnings and Dangers in Chester
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chester
- 19 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Chester?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chester
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 38 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 37 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Leamington Spa Intro, 35 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wichita Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kos Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Marostica Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Stratford-upon-Avon Intro, 21 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues