"Henley on Thames" Henley on Thames by grayfo
Henley on Thames Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 64 photos
Founded in the 12th century Henley-on-Thames is overlooked by the Chiltern Hills and is separated by the river from the village of Remenham where the famous Henley Royal Regatta is held. The Henley Royal Regatta lasts for four days in late June / early July and brings the town to life.
Henley-on-Thames is a market town that is an hour west of London making it a perfect location for a weekend away.
Information Portal for Henley-on-Thames
Henley Standard – Online Newspaper
Henley-on-Thames Town Council
The coat of arms consists of a shield showing clouds from which radiate the rays of the sun was the royal badge of Edward III, below it is a crowned letter H. The mural crown expresses the town's borough status which extended from 1241 until 1974 and is adorned with a fleur de lys, the symbol of St. Mary the Virgin (Henley's Parish Church) and bishops' mitres, the two episcopal benefactors of the town, Archbishop Laud and Bishop Longland. Above the crown the Sculls denotes Henley's link with the sport of rowing, the Henley Royal Regatta in particular.
The lion is from that depicted on the town's seal from 1306, and the ox from Henley's links with Oxford and Oxfordshire. The bugle horn hanging from a bowed string is the regimental badge of the Ox and Bucks Light Infantry. The Tudor Rose is a badge of James I, who is was the founder of Henley Grammar School
Borama - Somalia
Falaise – France
Leichlingen - Germany
A Fairtrade Town is a town, city, village, county, zone, island or borough that has made a commitment to supporting Fairtrade and using products with the FAIRTRADE Mark. Fairtrade is a tool for development that ensures disadvantaged farmers and workers in developing countries get a better deal through the use of the international FAIRTRADE Mark.
- In a nutshell:The Henley Royal Regatta
For the last 25 years the Henley Festival has been bringing five nights of music including classical, rock, pop, jazz,... more travel advice
St Mary's Church earliest recorded priest was Aumericus de Harcourt in 1204 although the first reference to the actual... more travel advice
grayfo's Related Pages
Henley on Thames Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Henley on Thames"
- "Henley-on-Thames - A Riverside Jewel"
- "Henley - the home of rowing"
- "Henley on Thames"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Henley on Thames
- Hotels in Henley on Thames
- Transportation in Henley on Thames
- Nightlife in Henley on Thames
- Restaurants in Henley on Thames
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Henley on Thames
- 7 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Henley on Thames?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Henley on Thames
Photos in Henley on ThamesSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 38 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 37 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Leamington Spa Intro, 34 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wichita Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kos Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Marostica Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Stratford-upon-Avon Intro, 20 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues