"Kenilworth" Top 5 Page for this destination Kenilworth by grayfo
Kenilworth Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 132 photos
Kenilworth is a delightful Warwickshire town, with many historical buildings, including its famous castle. The Doomsday Book (circa 1086) reveals that the Kenilworth of 900 years ago was a humble agricultural settlement with a population of less than 100. It has a fascinating old town, bordering the picturesque Abbey Fields.
Must see sights include: the ruins of the castle, the ruins of Kenilworth Abbey, St Nicholas Parish Church and the Kenilworth Clock to name but a few.
Official Tourist Site
Kenilworth Weekly News
Kenilworth Town Council
The coat of arms consists of a shield with a red castle of three towers on a green mound to the fore of a silver background; the blue horizontal band at the top has two 5-pointed stars in gold with red centres. The crest atops a wreath of silver and red ostrich feather and consists of silver and black tufted fur supported by two rearing lions, the left one silver and the right one green, each wearing a gold crown pendant and each bearing gold scallop shells.
The arms were granted in 1966, to the Kenilworth Urban District Council, the red castle represent Kenilworth Castle and indicates the local red sandstone of which it is built. The blue chief and golden mullets are from the arms attributed to Geoffrey de Clinton, who founded both Kenilworth Castle and Kenilworth Priory.
The red and white of the wreath and mantling are the colours of Warwickshire County Council. The white lion is from the arms of Simon de Montfort, Earl of Leicester, who held Kenilworth Castle from 1248. The ermine ostrich feather was one of the badges of John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, who inherited Kenilworth Castle in 1362. The green lion is from the arms of Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester who was granted Kenilworth Castle by the Queen in 1563. The crowns and scallop shells, are from the arms of the Hyde and Villiers families, successive Earls of Clarendon, who held the castle from 1665 until 1937.
- In a nutshell:Motto: Citizens are the foundations of a town
The event is now the most prestigious country event in Warwickshire and includes attractions like racing terriers,... more travel advice
War Memorial The Kenilworth memorial was dedicated in February 1922 and consists of 138 men and 1 woman who died as a... more travel advice
grayfo's Related Pages
Kenilworth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A lovely Town"
- "Classy Kenilworth"
- "My Home Town"
- "Ah........ well........Kenilworth............."
- "More than the castle..."
- "Kenilworth Castle - Britain's largest castle ruins"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kenilworth
- Hotels in Kenilworth
- Nightlife in Kenilworth
- Restaurants in Kenilworth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kenilworth
- 8 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (56)
Have you been to Kenilworth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kenilworth
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 38 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Leamington Spa Intro, 36 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 37 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 29 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wichita Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kos Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- England Intro, 27 reviews, 31 photos