"Leamington Spa (Only Tourists say Royal)" Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Leamington Spa by grayfo
Royal Leamington Spa Travel Guide: 109 reviews and 172 photos
Leamington Spa has the rare distinction of the right to use the prefix “Royal” a name that is only used by tourists. The town is situated in the centre of Warwickshire, in the heart of the English countryside. It has a Georgian town centre with a modern shopping mall and a spa in the Royal Pump Rooms. Leamington is a nice place to live and a good place to visit with an exceptionally large number of pubs (the town centre alone had 65 licensed premises at the last count).
Formerly known as Leamington Priors – the town is about a dozen miles to the north of Stratford-upon-Avon and is now virtually joined to Warwick. Leamington grew around the saline springs and the Royal Pump Room and Baths, which were opened in 1814. A treatment at the baths was supposed to be very beneficial and claimed to cure many disorders - gout, rheumatism, stiffness of the joints etc. - and the spa water was drunk as a laxative. There are many beautiful old buildings in the town, which has a wide, main shopping street - the Parade - and some well-maintained gardens around the river Leam. Charles Dickens was a frequent visitor and set a scene in "Dombey and Son" in the town.
Did You Know
Royal Leamington Spa is one of only three towns in England to have been given the official prefix “Royal” and was granted by Queen Victoria in 1838.
People who live in or who come from Leamington are called Leamingtonians
Official Tourist Site
Leamington Spa Guide
Tourist Information Centre
The coat of arms consists of a shield that is horizontally divided silver above blue, centre by a two-tailed upright green lion behind a chevron of blue squirrel fur patches. At the top are three 5-pointed red stars, all surrounded by a blue border containing eight golden fleurs-de-lys. The knight's helmet supports a notched silver staff and gold staff entwined by a serpent, both crossed diagonally and shared with two sprigs of Forget-me-nots. The crest is draped in green and silver with gold tails and a motto beneath; Sola bona quae honesta.
The arms were granted to the Royal Leamington Spa Borough Council 6th November 1876.
- Pros:My kinda town
- In a nutshell:Motto: Those things alone are good which are honourable
Religious Festival This year (2014) Bollywood and bhangra dance, storytelling and Indian-inspired art was brought to... more travel advice
(G 19) – Destroyer of the Town Class Town Class Destroyer was built by New York Shipbuilding Corp in 1918 as the USS... more travel advice
- See All Mill Bridge
- Shopping Centre
- Ryton Pools Country Park
- See All Travelodge
grayfo's Related Pages
Royal Leamington Spa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Curious Little Town"
- "Leamington Spa (Only Tourists say Royal)"
- "Let's just call it Leamington"
- "The Centre of the Universe (and not just England)"
- "As Regal As It Sounds?"
- "Good for constipation, apparently................"
- "Royal Leamington Spa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Royal Leamington Spa
- Hotels in Royal Leamington Spa
- Transportation in Royal Leamington Spa
- Nightlife in Royal Leamington Spa
- Restaurants in Royal Leamington Spa
- Shopping in Royal Leamington Spa
- Warnings and Dangers in Royal Leamington Spa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Royal Leamington Spa
- 35 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 32 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Royal Leamington Spa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Royal Leamington Spa
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 38 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 37 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Leamington Spa Intro, 35 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wichita Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kos Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Marostica Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Stratford-upon-Avon Intro, 21 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues