"London" London by grayfo
London Travel Guide: 23,476 reviews and 49,424 photos
London is the capital and largest city of both the United Kingdom and is also the largest city in Western Europe and the European Union. London is not so much a city as a group of towns and villages. It has grown gradually and absorbed many cities, towns and villages. Its is made up of large portions of four ancient commonwealths, or kingdoms, those of the Middle Saxons (Middlesex), of the East Saxons (Essex), of the "South Rie" (Surrey) folk, and of Kent.
Official City Guide
Guide to London
The coat of arms has never officially been granted, but has been recorded at the College of Arms, albeit without supporters and crest. The shield consists of the cross of St. George with the emblem of the city's patron, St. Paul. The first cathedral dedicated to St. Paul was built in 605 in the city. The sword has often been attributed that it was granted by King Richard II as a reward for William Walworth's services to the King. There is however, no proof to this. The dragons appear to date from around 1633 along with the motto 'Domine dirige nos' (Lord, direct us).
Arequipa – Peru
Berlin – Germany
Bogotá – Colombia
Delhi – India
Johannesburg – South Africa
Kuala Lumpur – Malaysia
Kuwait City – Kuwait
Moscow – Russia
New York City – USA
Oslo – Norway
Shanghai – China
Tehran – Iran
The St. George's Cross, red on white, distinguishes a number of civic flags associated with London. The city of London flag shows in the top left quarter, in red, the sword which beheaded St. Paul
This famous church is actually at least the fourth St Paul’s. The first was built in 604 AD, but burned down and its... more travel advice
Buckingham Palace is the official London residence of Her Majesty The Queen and serves as both home and office. The... more travel advice
grayfo's Related Pages
London Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Current Home"
- "Maybe it's Because I'm A Londoner...."
- "Gor Blimey guv'ner...you'r having a larf......"
- "London, the capital of England"
- "When a man tires of London, he is tired of life"
- "Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner ..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in London
- Hotels in London
- Transportation in London
- Nightlife in London
- Restaurants in London
- Shopping in London
- Warnings and Dangers in London
- See All...
Badges & Stats in London
- 8 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to London?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in London
Photos in LondonSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 38 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 37 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Leamington Spa Intro, 34 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wichita Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kos Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Marostica Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues