"London" London by grayfo
London Travel Guide: 25,423 reviews and 57,436 photos
London is the capital and largest city of both the United Kingdom and is also the largest city in Western Europe and the European Union. London is not so much a city as a group of towns and villages. It has grown gradually and absorbed many cities, towns and villages. Its is made up of large portions of four ancient commonwealths, or kingdoms, those of the Middle Saxons (Middlesex), of the East Saxons (Essex), of the "South Rie" (Surrey) folk, and of Kent.
London is a world centre of theatre, art, music, literature and culture. It's also a city of colourful markets, great shopping, green open spaces and a cosmopolitan culture. The city is also home to 7.5 million people, or 12.5 per cent of the UK's population. More than 1.5 million Londoners come from abroad and speak over 300 different languages.
Must see sights/attractions include: the Home of the Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, The Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, The British Museum and probably more than I could list on this page.
Did You Know
London is known as “The Old Smoke” a reference to the Great Smog of 1952
London welcomes more than 25 million visitors a year
Official City Guide
Guide to London
What’s On in London
Transport for London
TimeOut - London
Venues and Events Just Opened
London Travel Blog
London Theatre Seating Guide
London Breakfast Spots
The coat of arms has never officially been granted, but has been recorded at the College of Arms, albeit without supporters and crest. The shield consists of the cross of St. George with the emblem of the city's patron, St. Paul. The first cathedral dedicated to St. Paul was built in 605 in the city. The sword has often been attributed that it was granted by King Richard II as a reward for William Walworth's services to the King. There is however, no proof to this. The dragons appear to date from around 1633 along with the motto 'Domine dirige nos' (Lord, direct us).
Arequipa – Peru
Berlin – Germany
Bogotá – Colombia
Delhi – India
Johannesburg – South Africa
Kuala Lumpur – Malaysia
Kuwait City – Kuwait
Moscow – Russia
New York City – USA
Oslo – Norway
Shanghai – China
Tehran – Iran
The St. George's Cross, red on white, distinguishes a number of civic flags associated with London. The city of London flag shows in the top left quarter, in red, the sword which beheaded St. Paul
- Pros:Just Capital
- Cons:Very Crowded
- In a nutshell:Domine dirige nos (Lord, direct us)
The 19 metre high Corinthian Column formally known as the Crimea and Indian Mutiny memorial is a tall marble and... more travel advice
The bronze statue of Robert Clive with his left hand resting on the hilt of his sword and the other holding a scrolled... more travel advice
grayfo's Related Pages
London Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Current Home"
- "Maybe it's Because I'm A Londoner...."
- "Gor Blimey guv'ner...you'r having a larf......"
- "Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner ..."
- "London, the capital of England"
- "When a man tires of London, he is tired of life"
- See All...
- Things to Do in London
- Hotels in London
- Transportation in London
- Nightlife in London
- Restaurants in London
- Shopping in London
- Warnings and Dangers in London
- See All...
Badges & Stats in London
- 36 Reviews
- 65 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to London?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in London
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 40 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 36 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Leamington Spa Intro, 38 reviews, 59 photos, 6 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 37 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wichita Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- England Intro, 29 reviews, 33 photos
- Kos Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues