"Ramsgate" Ramsgate by grayfo
Ramsgate Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 105 photos
Ramsgate is a commercial ferry port, with a car ferry service, and has the only Royal Harbour in Britain, which also happens to be one of the largest on the English south coast. The town is a gentile resort, which became popular after a visit by George IV in 1827. Ramsgate is full of Georgian and other historical buildings. St Augustin's 1851 Roman Catholic Church was designed by Pugin, where he is now laid to rest.
Must see sights include: Ramsgate Main Sands, The Hugin (a reconstructed Viking longship), the Townley House and three notable churches to name but a few.
The Ramsgate Society
Ramsgate Town Council
The coat of arms consists of a shield quartered, top left is the Kent County emblem, the horse rampant Invicta. The top right is the sign of the Cinque Ports, indicating Ramsgate as a Limb or Liberty of Sandwich, one of the ancient and original Cinque Ports. Bottom left is a dolphin that refers to Ramsgate as a fishing port. Bottom right is a golden galley that refers to the shipping in the Royal Harbour. The supporters are of a Lifeboat man and a Coastguard, atop the shield is a Naval Crown and a Lighthouse, to the bottom the town motto.
The Ramsgate Coat of Arms was granted in 1884 and since 1934; the 50th anniversary and incorporation, the use of supporters were allowed.
- In a nutshell:Motto: 'Safety for the shipwrecked, Health for the sick'
grayfo's Related Pages
Ramsgate Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Day out by the sea, anyone?"
- "Ramsgate in 1896 and today"
- "An unexpected overnight stay in Ramsgate"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ramsgate
- Hotels in Ramsgate
- Transportation in Ramsgate
- Nightlife in Ramsgate
- Restaurants in Ramsgate
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ramsgate
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Ramsgate?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ramsgate
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 38 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 37 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Leamington Spa Intro, 34 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wichita Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kos Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Marostica Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Stratford-upon-Avon Intro, 20 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues