"Rochester" Top 5 Page for this destination Rochester by grayfo
Rochester Travel Guide: 76 reviews and 216 photos
Rochester located on the river Medway is known as 'the City of Great Expectations' due to its link with Charles Dickens. This historical city has a Dickens Centre and hosts Dickensian festivals in the summer and at Christmas. Rochester is a great place to spend a day with it's half-timbered buildings and souvenir shops leading to the Cathedral and Castle.
Rochester Tourism Website
The Coat of Arms of Rochester was first officially recorded in 1619, and allowed at the Herald’s Visitation in 1674. The arms consists of the English lion and St George's cross, at the centre is a letter R for the City's name, it is believed that the mural crown was added at the time Rochester Castle was purchased by the council from the Earl of Jersey in 1884.
Rochester City Council was dissolved in 1974, the arms now being the intellectual property of its legal successor Medway Council.
Charles Dickens lived in Rochester as a child and spent the final years of his life here, having used the town as a... more travel advice
Every year Rochester comes alive with the Dickensian Christmas, this is very similar to the Dickensian Summer Festival... more travel advice
grayfo's Related Pages
Rochester Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rochester - Dickens stomping ground"
- "A Dickens of a nice place"
- "As much history as you'd want."
- "Rochester, Kent - Garden of England"
- "Rochester - Town of Dickens"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rochester
- Hotels in Rochester
- Transportation in Rochester
- Restaurants in Rochester
- Shopping in Rochester
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Rochester
- 11 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Rochester?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rochester
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 38 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 37 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Leamington Spa Intro, 34 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wichita Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kos Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Marostica Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Nürnberg Intro, 20 reviews, 31 photos, 3 travelogues