"(Royal) Tunbridge Wells" Top 5 Page for this destination Tunbridge Wells by grayfo
Tunbridge Wells Travel Guide: 77 reviews and 156 photos
Royal Tunbridge Wells, now part of commuter land, lies at the heart of one of the most scenic stretches of countryside in England. In Georgian times this popular spa town gained a reputation as the place to see and be seen amongst royalty and fashionable members of the aristocracy, the old buildings that remain reflect this heritage, especially in the Pantiles where the spring still exists.
Retaining much of the charm and elegance of its Georgian heyday, Royal Tunbridge Wells today has all the modern amenities, a large number of shops, cinema, hotels, etc. with some nice countryside around it reflected in the town's pleasant Common.
Must see sights include: the Pantiles and its chalybeate spring, the Millennium Clock, Calverley Grounds and the Salomons Museum to name but a few.
Did You Know
Royal Tunbridge Wells is one of only three towns in England to have been given the official prefix “Royal” and was granted by King Edward VII in 1909.
The coat of arms consists of a shield with drops of water on a red background between two spheres which represent fountains, from the top is a triangular wedge in gold upon which is a red lion standing on its hind legs. The Crest consists of a Red Lion emerging from a Well holding a sphere (fountain) between its paws.
The arms were granted to the Royal Tunbridge Wells Borough Council 19th July 1889.
Wiesbaden - Germany
Tunbridge Wells West Railway Station
Royal Tunbridge Wells Road Sign
Tunbridge Wells Borough Council
- In a nutshell:Motto: Do Well and Doubt Not
Just inside the entrance of the Pantiles, the famous colonnaded shopping area in Royal Tunbridge Wells, is the mineral... more travel advice
grayfo's Related Pages
Tunbridge Wells Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Royal Tunbridge Wells"
- "TUNBRIDGE WELLS - WHERE THE BROGUES RUN FREE!"
- "My Hometown"
- "Tunbridge Wells - Kent"
- "(Royal) Tunbridge Wells"
- "Tunbridge Wells"
- "Royal Tunbridge Wells - A description"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tunbridge Wells
- Hotels in Tunbridge Wells
- Transportation in Tunbridge Wells
- Nightlife in Tunbridge Wells
- Restaurants in Tunbridge Wells
- Shopping in Tunbridge Wells
- Warnings and Dangers in Tunbridge Wells
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tunbridge Wells
- 2 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Tunbridge Wells?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tunbridge Wells
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 38 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 37 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Leamington Spa Intro, 35 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wichita Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kos Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Marostica Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Stratford-upon-Avon Intro, 21 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues