"Solihull – “Soily Hill”" Solihull by grayfo
Solihull Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 23 photos
The name Solihull derives from Anglo-Saxon and means muddy or soiley hill. Prior to this there is evidence of Roman activity in the surrounding areas. Today Solihull is known locally for its shopping.
It is thought that the parish church of Saint Alphege was built on a hill of red marl with turns sticky when wet, hence the name “Soily Hill”.
People who live in or who come from Solihull are called Silhillians
Solihull Official Website
The coat of arms were granted in 1975 and consists of various associated links, the black griffin from the arms of the Earls of Ayleford who are associated with Meriden; the silver fleur-de-lis from the Digby family who were associated with Fordbridge and the black greyhound from the arms of the Griswold’s, the family who built the manor house in the High Street. The crest with its battlements, sickles and oak tree with golden acorns represent the rural and agricultural nature of the Forest of Arden.
- In a nutshell:"Motto: Urbs in Rure (Town in the Country)”
This is a restaurant that operates under the Beefeater chain belonging to the Premier Inn Stable, the chain specialises... more travel advice
Touchwood was opened by the Queen on July 2, 2002 and consists of three indoor arcades containing over 80 stores, a... more travel advice
grayfo's Related Pages
Solihull Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One Visit - One Night!"
- "Solihull – “Soily Hill”"
- "Affluent town"
- "Building a "Home" Homepage for SOLIHULL!"
- "My home town"
- "Home town alright"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Solihull
- Hotels in Solihull
- Transportation in Solihull
- Nightlife in Solihull
- Restaurants in Solihull
- Shopping in Solihull
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Solihull
- 7 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Solihull?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Solihull
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 38 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 37 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Leamington Spa Intro, 34 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wichita Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kos Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Marostica Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Nürnberg Intro, 20 reviews, 31 photos, 3 travelogues