"Warwick - My Birthplace" Top 5 Page for this destination Warwick by grayfo
Warwick Travel Guide: 244 reviews and 524 photos
Historic Warwick is a great centre for the tourist, with its many antique, china and gift shops and a regular market every Saturday. There is also a wide variety of small specialised shops located around the Market Square, Swan Street and Smith Street plus a selection of pubs, fine restaurants and tearooms
Warwick is a town steeped in history founded on the banks of the River Avon in 914 AD by Ethelfleda, sister of Edward the Elder, as a defence against the Danish invaders, on a site overlooking earlier riverside settlements. It was built on a small hill, located so that it controlled the river valley and river crossing on the roads to London, Stratford, Coventry and the salt way to Droitwich. Although the town was ravaged by the Great Fire in 1694, lots of important medieval buildings survived.
Must see sights include: Warwick Castle, the Lord Leycester Hospital, the Market Square, St. Johns Museum and St. Mary’s Church to name but a few.
Did You Know
The name 'Warwick' means "dwellings by the weir"
People who live in or who come from Warwick are called Warwickians
Official Tourist Site
Warwick District Council
The arms consist of a black background upon which is a silver walled town with three towers, with the two outer towers there are night-watchmen facing in and blowing silver Horns dressed in red, The central tower has an red shield with a silver ragged staff diagonally left to right. In the top corners is a silver 6-pointed star and silver crescent moon. The crest draped in black and silver with gold tassels is a knight’s helmet from which emerges the upper half of a black bear and ragged staff also in black. The Latin motto Antquim Obtenens is shown below.
The arms were granted to the Warwick Borough Council 10th April 1964
- Pros:The History
- Cons:No Nightlife for the young at heart
- In a nutshell:Motto: Holding fast to tradition
Folk Festival The Warwick Folk Festival, the annual celebration folk music, now in its 36th year (2015) consists of the... more travel advice
(D 25) – “W” class Destroyer HMS Warwick was an Admiralty 'W' class destroyer built in 1917. The ship saw service in... more travel advice
grayfo's Related Pages
Warwick Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Warwick, England."
- "Visit to Warwick Castle"
- "Warwick - My Birthplace"
- "Not only Warwick Castle"
- "Warwick - The Castle and Much More Besides.."
- "Pronounced 'Worrick', not like Dionne..........."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Warwick
- Hotels in Warwick
- Transportation in Warwick
- Nightlife in Warwick
- Restaurants in Warwick
- Shopping in Warwick
- Warnings and Dangers in Warwick
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Warwick
- 23 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Warwick?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Warwick
Photos in WarwickSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 38 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 37 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Leamington Spa Intro, 35 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wichita Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 25 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kos Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warwick Intro, 23 reviews, 35 photos, 3 travelogues