"Warwick - My Birthplace" Top 5 Page for this destination Warwick by grayfo

Warwick Travel Guide: 244 reviews and 524 photos

Historic Warwick is a great centre for the tourist, with its many antique, china and gift shops and a regular market every Saturday. There is also a wide variety of small specialised shops located around the Market Square, Swan Street and Smith Street plus a selection of pubs, fine restaurants and tearooms

Warwick is a town steeped in history founded on the banks of the River Avon in 914 AD by Ethelfleda, sister of Edward the Elder, as a defence against the Danish invaders, on a site overlooking earlier riverside settlements. It was built on a small hill, located so that it controlled the river valley and river crossing on the roads to London, Stratford, Coventry and the salt way to Droitwich. Although the town was ravaged by the Great Fire in 1694, lots of important medieval buildings survived.

Must see sights include: Warwick Castle, the Lord Leycester Hospital, the Market Square, St. Johns Museum and St. Mary’s Church to name but a few.

Did You Know

The name 'Warwick' means "dwellings by the weir"

People who live in or who come from Warwick are called Warwickians

Useful websites: -

Official Tourist Site
Warwick District Council

The arms consist of a black background upon which is a silver walled town with three towers, with the two outer towers there are night-watchmen facing in and blowing silver Horns dressed in red, The central tower has an red shield with a silver ragged staff diagonally left to right. In the top corners is a silver 6-pointed star and silver crescent moon. The crest draped in black and silver with gold tassels is a knight’s helmet from which emerges the upper half of a black bear and ragged staff also in black. The Latin motto Antquim Obtenens is shown below.

The arms were granted to the Warwick Borough Council 10th April 1964

Welcome to Warwick

University of Warwick

Warwick Folk Festival

Warwick Castle

• Pros:The History
  • Cons:No Nightlife for the young at heart
  • In a nutshell:Motto: Holding fast to tradition
  • Last visit to Warwick: Jan 2015
  • Intro Updated Jun 5, 2015

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2011 at 11:37 PM

Hi Graham, interesting and useful tips - thank you! The Black Horse looks so cute :-)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2010 at 5:14 AM

Hello, Graham! Thanks for your story! ><><><><

• Oct 26, 2010 at 5:05 AM

Great review, you got me sold. Just a bit worried my boys aged 3 and 6 won't enjoy it, what do you reckon? Thanks!

• Jackiekg's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2008 at 2:30 AM

thks for your birthday wishes - thought I'd already written. Warwick is a beautiful place and I've been lucky to have visited there a few times. Lovely picture of Warwick Castle.

• lou31's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2007 at 3:31 PM

I enjoyed reading about Warwick, I especially liked St Mary's church, the doll house and the interesting concept behind the ex servicemen and the hospital. Never heard of that before...cheers

• sswagner's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2006 at 4:55 PM

Very nice page on Warwick. I hope to see this place before the year is up.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2005 at 12:52 PM

Wish I had seen your pages before I visited Warwick in 1995. I spent a whole day at the castle, which is just great, but I should have seen some other places as well. Very interesting information and lovely photos!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2005 at 3:43 AM

Excellent pages, quality information.

• Jan 8, 2005 at 6:44 PM

Oh you've got a picture of that Doll Museum.. I loved that street! It was the prettiest street in all of Warwick, and Ive been so unhappy that I never got a picture of it.. It's great!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2005 at 5:13 AM

I enjoyed your Warwick birthplace. So happens I live in the city of Warwick, myself! Not sure of the connection...but knew of your existence. I'm sure I'd love the doll museum.

grayfo

“Are we there yet?”

Badges & Stats in Warwick

Have you been to Warwick?

Latest Activity in Warwick