"Warwick - My Birthplace" Top 5 Page for this destination Warwick by grayfo
Warwick Travel Guide: 234 reviews and 493 photos
Historic Warwick is a great centre for the tourist, with its many antique, china and gift shops and a regular market every Saturday. There is also a wide variety of small specialised shops located around the Market Square, Swan Street and Smith Street plus a selection of pubs, fine restaurants and tearooms
The name Warwick derives from ye olde English for ‘Dwellings by the weir’ and it is a town steeped in history founded on the banks of the River Avon in 914 AD by Ethelfleda, sister of Edward the Elder, as a defence against the Danish invaders, on a site overlooking earlier riverside settlements. It was built on a small hill, located so that it controlled the river valley and river crossing on the roads to London, Stratford, Coventry and the salt way to Droitwich. Although the town was ravaged by the Great Fire in 1694, lots of important medieval buildings survived.
Must see sights include: Warwick Castle, the Lord Leycester Hospital, the Market Square, St. Johns Museum and St. Mary’s Church to name but a few.
People who live in or who come from Warwick are called Warwickians
- Pros:The History
- Cons:No Nightlife for the young at heart
This has now become an annual event (2011 was the Sixth) usually staged around the third Sunday in July. The day itself... more travel advice
The Heritage Motor Centre is home to the largest collection of British cars in the world. So much more than a... more travel advice
Written Mar 14, 2007
Postcards - Old
Written Nov 9, 2005
Postcards - Guy's Cliff Mill
grayfo's Related Pages
Warwick Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Warwick, England."
- "Visit to Warwick Castle"
- "Warwick - My Birthplace"
- "Not only Warwick Castle"
- "Warwick - The Castle and Much More Besides.."
- "Pronounced 'Worrick', not like Dionne..........."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Warwick
- Hotels in Warwick
- Transportation in Warwick
- Nightlife in Warwick
- Restaurants in Warwick
- Shopping in Warwick
- Warnings and Dangers in Warwick
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Warwick
- 17 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Warwick?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Warwick
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 38 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 37 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Leamington Spa Intro, 34 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wichita Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kos Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Marostica Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues