"Basse-Normandie" Basse-Normandie by grayfo
Basse-Normandie Travel Guide: 1,677 reviews and 5,338 photos
Lower Normandy was created in 1956, when the Normandy region was divided into Lower Normandy (Basse-Normandie) and Upper Normandy (Haute-Normandie). For a short break with a difference, the landscape is hard to beat, lush and green, with tiny fields and half-timbered buildings. The region is known as ‘Cider and Cream Country’. The history of Normandy is also intertwined with Great Britain’s, where echoes of Joan of Arc, the D-Day landings, Richard the Lionheart and William the Conqueror can be seen. Everything in Normandy seems vaguely familiar to England due to the shared heritage shared; the same Vikings who visited Normandy also visited Britain. In fact the present day Normans seem to have more in common with us, than they do with the rest of the French.
The regional capital of Basse-Normandie is Caen.
With massive walls measuring more than half a mile in circumference and located in a bay at the bottom of the Cotentin... more travel advice
grayfo's Related Pages
Basse-Normandie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "World War Two battlefields"
- "Normandy, a turbulent piece of Europa"
- "Islands, Tapestrys, Beaches & History"
- "The D-Day Beaches and Museums"
- "On and Off the Road in Normandie"
- "From the Vikings to the D-Day"
- "The D-Day Landing Beaches"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Basse-Normandie
- Hotels in Basse-Normandie
- Transportation in Basse-Normandie
- Nightlife in Basse-Normandie
- Restaurants in Basse-Normandie
- Shopping in Basse-Normandie
- Warnings and Dangers in Basse-Normandie
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Basse-Normandie
- 6 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Basse-Normandie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Basse-Normandie
Photos in Basse-NormandieSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 38 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 37 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Leamington Spa Intro, 34 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wichita Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kos Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Marostica Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues