"Brittany - Bretagne" Bretagne by grayfo
Bretagne Travel Guide: 2,593 reviews and 8,428 photos
Bretagne consists of 80% of Brittany which is a province in the Northwest corner of France corresponding to the departments of Finistere, Cotes- d'Armor, Morbihan, Ille-et-Vilaine and Loire -Atlantique. Part of the reason why Brittany was split between two modern day regions was to avoid the rivalry between Rennes and Nantes.
Rennes (pop.203 533) is the administrative and cultural capital of Brittany. It has a large industrial zone and is also a major agricultural and business centre.
Tourism and Leisure in Brittany
The coat of arms consists of an ermine canton (this is a heraldic fur that represents the winter coat of the stoat (white with a black tail)) and recalls the ducal arms of Brittany. The Duchy was merged into the Kingdom of France as a province by 1532, and was eliminated in 1792 during the formation of the French system of Departments during the French Revolution.
The Breton flag (Gwenn-ha-Du or White and Black) is made of nine horizontal stripes; 5 blacks and 4 whites alternated, and a field of eleven black ermine spots, placed 4 + 3 + 4.
- Pros:Crêpes and cider
Vitré lays 35km east of Rennes and is located on the slopes of the Vilaine river. The castle is the focal point of the... more travel advice
The capital city of Brittany, Rennes takes its name from the Redones, one of the Celtic tribes of pre-Roman times.... more travel advice
grayfo's Related Pages
Bretagne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Brittany -Bretagne - Breizh"
- "Bretagne and Charm!"
- "South Finistére"
- "Forget everything about France!"
- "French, yes, but Breton first"
- "A Very Different France"
- "A Brief Breton Interlude"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bretagne
- Hotels in Bretagne
- Transportation in Bretagne
- Nightlife in Bretagne
- Restaurants in Bretagne
- Shopping in Bretagne
- Warnings and Dangers in Bretagne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bretagne
- 20 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Bretagne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bretagne
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 38 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 37 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Leamington Spa Intro, 34 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wichita Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kos Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Marostica Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues