"Marostica - Maròstega" Marostica by grayfo
Marostica Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 79 photos
The medieval town of Marostica in northern Italy is located in the foothills, just a half hour's drive from Vicenza and is renowned for its cultural events, particularly the life-sized chess game played every two years in the Piazza Castello (Main Square) using real men and women as pieces!
The tradition goes back to 1454 when Taddeo Parisio Castellano di Marostica – the local lord - had the "chess board" built to settle a conflict between two noblemen, Renaldo D'Anganaro and Vieri da Vallanora in love with his eldest daughter Lionora. Instead of duelling - which was the custom of the day - he had the two men compete in the noble game of chess to determine the future husband of his daughter.
The modern tournament takes place with real people dressed in medieval costumes and can be seen on the second Friday, Saturday and Sunday of September in even-number years. Tickets go on sale in April and for information or bookings, contact the town tourist office.
Marostica is also known for its tasty cherries which ripen towards the end of May, and holds numerous events in the square, including the Sagra del Ciliege (Cherry Festival) every June.
In the Venetic language the name of town is “That has mountains and hills”
Chess Tournament Information Site
The coat of arms consists of a fort on a hill in front of a blue (sky) background. To the fore is a gold-coloured lion rising and in its front quarters it holds a banner with a blue and red cross on a white ground. The shield is within a wreath topped by a fortified crown. The coat of Arms were granted in 1854 by the Austrian Ministry of Interior.
Family run traditional Italian restaurant that goes back generations to 1904, the restaurant was frequented by soldiers... more travel advice
Marostica was built in Roman times, but its development dates back to early medieval period, between the 11th and 13th... more travel advice
grayfo's Related Pages
Marostica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Marostica - Maròstega"
- "One up, one down"
- "Marostica - Home of the Human Chess Game Scacchi"
- "Human Chess anyone?"
- "Under the rain"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marostica
- Hotels in Marostica
- Transportation in Marostica
- Restaurants in Marostica
- Shopping in Marostica
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Marostica
- 22 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Marostica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marostica
Photos in MarosticaSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 38 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 37 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Leamington Spa Intro, 34 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wichita Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kos Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Marostica Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Nürnberg Intro, 20 reviews, 31 photos, 3 travelogues