"Collioure - Cotlliure" Top 5 Page for this destination Collioure by grayfo
Collioure Travel Guide: 91 reviews and 333 photos
Located only 20 minutes from the Pyrenees and Spanish Catalonia, Collioure is an attractive port hidden in a creek that was home of the Fauvist Movement and favoured because of the exceptional climate and rare quality of the light from the all-day sun. The town is said to resemble St-Tropez before it was spoiled, a French answer to England’s own St Ives. Collioure is a charming and alluring port, said to be at its best in spring and autumn. When visiting don’t miss the Château Royal, few forts are more impressive, with sheer walls rising out of the water. In the 13th and 14th centuries it was part of the Kingdom of Majorca; it was fortified in the 15th century and fought over by the kings of Aragon, Spain and France in the 16th and 17th centuries.
Must see sights/attractions include: the Château Royal, the Church of Our Lady of the Angels and the Chemin du Fauvisme to name but a few.
Did You Know
Collioure is famous for its anchovies, which are referenced in Mark Kurlansky's book Salt as the best in the world.
- In a nutshell:Motto: Always forward, We'll never die
The Office de Tourisme is a good source of maps and tourist information and offers a range of Discounted Tickets,... more travel advice
Collioure Sauce is an Anchovy based sauce taken from an old recipe from the French city that is exclusively made by... more travel advice
grayfo's Related Pages
Collioure Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Collioure -Jewel of the Vermeille Coast"
- "Collioure - Cotlliure"
- "Collioure ... un site ravissant et unique !"
- " Collioure "
- "Collioure - Art and the ocean"
- "The Bay...of Collioure"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Collioure
- Hotels in Collioure
- Transportation in Collioure
- Restaurants in Collioure
- Shopping in Collioure
- Warnings and Dangers in Collioure
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Collioure
- 9 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Collioure?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Collioure
- updated a Collioure Travel Page "Collioure - Cotlliure"
- Posted in Travel Warwick Forum "Re: One day around Warwick?"
- Wrote a Review Office de Tourisme de Collioure in Collioure Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Secluded hideaway in the centre of Collioure"
- Commented on one of grayfo's Collioure travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 40 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 36 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Leamington Spa Intro, 38 reviews, 59 photos, 6 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 37 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wichita Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- England Intro, 29 reviews, 33 photos
- Kos Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues