"Collioure" Top 5 Page for this destination Collioure by grayfo

Collioure Travel Guide: 83 reviews and 252 photos

Located only 20 minutes from the Pyrenees and Spanish Catalonia, Collioure is an attractive port that was home of the Fauvist Movement, favoured because of the rare quality of the light. The town said to resemble St-Tropez before it was spoiled, a French answer to England’s St Ives. Collioure is a charming and alluring port, said to be at its best in spring and autumn. When visiting don’t miss the Chateau Royal, few forts are more impressive, with sheer walls rising out of the water. In the 13th and 14th centuries it was part of the Kingdom of Majorca; it was fortified in the 15th century and fought over by the kings of Aragon, Spain and France in the 16th and 17th centuries.

• In a nutshell:Motto: Always forward, We'll never die

Apr 3, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Bit of useful history there. Cheers, Ian

• nicoleken's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2009 at 12:43 AM

I visited Collioure when I stayed in Argelès-sur-Mer: it is a wonderful place !

• Jan 28, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Thank you for info on this accomodation; we just booked a night there and had no idea what it looked like or how to spend our time there. Any more suggestions most welcome!

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2008 at 6:18 AM

Good to meet someone else who has been to one of my favourite places! ( I got here via a detour from your Godmanchester page so will find my way back there now...)

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2008 at 2:43 PM

nice page mate. that looks like an attractive little place.

• tpal's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2005 at 6:40 AM

Hi Graham, Thanks for the helpful tips. We hope to spend a week in the Languedoc-Roussillon region next year so I'm gathering as much info as I can. Thx...Tom

grayfo

“Are we there yet?”

Badges & Stats in Collioure

Have you been to Collioure?

Latest Activity in Collioure