"Collioure - Cotlliure" Top 5 Page for this destination Collioure by grayfo

Collioure Travel Guide: 91 reviews and 333 photos

Located only 20 minutes from the Pyrenees and Spanish Catalonia, Collioure is an attractive port hidden in a creek that was home of the Fauvist Movement and favoured because of the exceptional climate and rare quality of the light from the all-day sun. The town is said to resemble St-Tropez before it was spoiled, a French answer to England’s own St Ives. Collioure is a charming and alluring port, said to be at its best in spring and autumn. When visiting don’t miss the Château Royal, few forts are more impressive, with sheer walls rising out of the water. In the 13th and 14th centuries it was part of the Kingdom of Majorca; it was fortified in the 15th century and fought over by the kings of Aragon, Spain and France in the 16th and 17th centuries.

Must see sights/attractions include: the Château Royal, the Church of Our Lady of the Angels and the Chemin du Fauvisme to name but a few.

Did You Know

Collioure is famous for its anchovies, which are referenced in Mark Kurlansky's book Salt as the best in the world.

Twin Town: -

Soria - Spain

• In a nutshell:Motto: Always forward, We'll never die
  • Last visit to Collioure: Jul 1982
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:01 AM

One of our favourite places! Brings back memories - John is already threatening to drive us there again.
    Think I'll work on the idea of the train......

• grayfo's Profile Photo
      Jul 5, 2015 at 11:07 AM

I drove from Calais to Argelès-sur-Mer with only a 2 hour break, I definitely couldn't do that now.

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:18 AM

That was some drive!
      We drove to Collioure from Santander after an overnight ferry with lots of lovely stop-overs en route - the joys of retirement!
      But would need lots of extended stop-overs now!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2014 at 5:57 AM

Nice page

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Bit of useful history there. Cheers, Ian

• nicoleken's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2009 at 12:43 AM

I visited Collioure when I stayed in Argelès-sur-Mer: it is a wonderful place !

• Jan 28, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Thank you for info on this accomodation; we just booked a night there and had no idea what it looked like or how to spend our time there. Any more suggestions most welcome!

Nov 21, 2008 at 6:18 AM

Good to meet someone else who has been to one of my favourite places! ( I got here via a detour from your Godmanchester page so will find my way back there now...)

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2008 at 2:43 PM

nice page mate. that looks like an attractive little place.

• tpal's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2005 at 6:40 AM

Hi Graham, Thanks for the helpful tips. We hope to spend a week in the Languedoc-Roussillon region next year so I'm gathering as much info as I can. Thx...Tom

grayfo

“Are we there yet?”

Badges & Stats in Collioure

Have you been to Collioure?