"Port-Vendres - Port of Venus" Port-Vendres by grayfo
Port-Vendres Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 20 photos
Port-Vendres is the only natural port along the rocky Mediterranean coast (called the Vermilion Coast, because of the bright red colours of the rocks) and is situated near the Spanish border in south west France. Port-Vendres is both a deep-water commercial port and fishing and yachting harbour working all year round.
Must see sights/attractions include: the Dynamiterie de Paulilles (explosives factory), the Charles Rennie Mackintosh Museum, Fort Fanal, the Redoute du Fanal and the Redoute Bear to name but a few.
Did You Know
The famous Scottish architect, designer water colourist and artist Charles Rennie Mackintosh lived in Port-Vendres during the last years of his life
Office du tourisme
The coat of arms consists of three gold towers, each having five turrets and two windows, one above the other. Below the tower is a gold sailing ship, all on a blue background.
Evidence of Port-Vendres has been in existence since the Iron Age, when it was a harbour that connected with the Iberian... more travel advice
grayfo's Related Pages
Port-Vendres Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Port Vendres in Languedoc-Roussillion"
- "Port-Vendres - Port of Venus"
- "Porte Vendres"
- "Such a tranquil beach village!"
- "The old Portus Veneris"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port-Vendres
- 2 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Port-Vendres?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port-Vendres
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 40 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 37 reviews, 67 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Leamington Spa Intro, 39 reviews, 60 photos, 6 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 23 reviews, 65 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 37 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wichita Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- England Intro, 29 reviews, 33 photos
- Kos Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues