"Gloucestershire" Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucestershire by grayfo
Gloucestershire Travel Guide: 657 reviews and 1,874 photos
Gloucestershire, situated on the Severn Estuary is approximately 1,025 square miles in size and includes the largest areas of outstanding natural beauty in the country. Several members of the Royal family live in Gloucestershire.
Gloucestershire, one of the most beautiful counties in England, is made up of several distinct areas:
The Cotswolds is an area popular with both the English themselves and visitors from all over the world; the Cotswolds are well known for gentle hillsides (‘wolds’), sleepy villages and for being so ‘typically English’.
The Royal Forest of Dean
This area delights new visitors with the 100 square kilometres of woodlands, pretty little villages, ancient coal workings, free running sheep, wild flowers and a culture all of it's own.
The Severn Vale
Lies along the valley containing Britain's longest river, famed for it's bore, lush meadows and it's wild life.
Did You Know
The county town of Gloucestershire is Gloucester.
County Council Website
The Gloucestershire coat of arms consists of three gold chevrons on a red background, above are three horseshoes, one each taken from the old arms of the City of Gloucester, the Allen family and the Cripps family. The two fleeces either side of the chevrons represent the woolen industry. The crest is from the City of Gloucester 1652 and the motto is again from the Allen family.
The flag of Gloucestershire comprises a cross of mid-blue, outlined in cream, against an apple green background and is referred to as "The Severn Cross". The green represents the rural countryside, the blue the River Severn and the yellow Cotswold Stone.
- In a nutshell:Motto: Prorsum Semper (Ever Forward)
Cheltenham Spa, is a large town located on the edge of the Cotswolds and is home of one of the most important race of... more travel advice
Cirencester is a market town whose status was mention in the Domesday Book with markets still being held every Monday... more travel advice
grayfo's Related Pages
Gloucestershire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A day in the Cotswolds"
- "The Cotswolds"
- "The Honey-Coloured Stones of the Cotswolds"
- "A few days driving around the Cotswolds"
- "Photos of Lower Slaughter, the Cotswolds"
- "THE COTSWOLDS"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gloucestershire
- Hotels in Gloucestershire
- Transportation in Gloucestershire
- Nightlife in Gloucestershire
- Restaurants in Gloucestershire
- Shopping in Gloucestershire
- Warnings and Dangers in Gloucestershire
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gloucestershire
- 23 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (56)
Have you been to Gloucestershire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gloucestershire
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 38 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 37 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Leamington Spa Intro, 35 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wichita Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kos Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Marostica Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Stratford-upon-Avon Intro, 21 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues