"Gloucestershire" Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucestershire by grayfo
Gloucestershire Travel Guide: 635 reviews and 1,841 photos
Gloucestershire, situated on the Severn Estuary is approximately 1,025 square miles in size and includes the largest areas of outstanding natural beauty in the country. Several members of the Royal family live in Gloucestershire.
Gloucestershire, one of the most beautiful counties in England, is made up of several distinct areas:
The Cotswolds is an area popular with both the English themselves and visitors from all over the world; the Cotswolds are well known for gentle hillsides (‘wolds’), sleepy villages and for being so ‘typically English’.
The Royal Forest of Dean
Will delight new visitors with the 100 square kilometres of woodlands, pretty little villages, ancient coal workings, free running sheep, wild flowers and a culture all of it's own.
The Severn Vale
Lies along the valley containing Britain's longest river, famed for it's bore, lush meadows and it's wild life.
The county town of Gloucestershire is Gloucester.
County Council Website
The Gloucestershire coat of arms consists of three gold chevrons on a red background, above are three horseshoes, one each taken from the old arms of the City of Gloucester, the Allen family and the Cripps family. The two fleeces either side of the chevrons represent the woolen industry. The crest is from the City of Gloucester 1652 and the motto is again from the Allen family.
The flag of Gloucestershire comprises a cross of mid-blue, outlined in cream, against an apple green background and is referred to as "The Severn Cross". The green represents the rural countryside, the blue the River Severn and the yellow Cotswold Stone.
- In a nutshell:Motto: Prorsum Semper (Ever Forward)
Gloucestershire was originally inhabited by the ancestors of the Welsh and other British Celtic tribes throughout the... more travel advice
Coleford lies on the Western side of the Forest of Dean and is a market town that which can trace its history back to... more travel advice
grayfo's Related Pages
Gloucestershire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A day in the Cotswolds"
- "The Cotswolds"
- "The Honey-Coloured Stones of the Cotswolds"
- "A few days driving around the Cotswolds"
- "Photos of Lower Slaughter, the Cotswolds"
- "THE COTSWOLDS"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gloucestershire
- Hotels in Gloucestershire
- Transportation in Gloucestershire
- Nightlife in Gloucestershire
- Restaurants in Gloucestershire
- Shopping in Gloucestershire
- Warnings and Dangers in Gloucestershire
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gloucestershire
- 5 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Gloucestershire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gloucestershire
Photos in GloucestershireSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 38 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 37 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Leamington Spa Intro, 34 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wichita Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kos Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Marostica Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Nürnberg Intro, 20 reviews, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (59)
Top Gloucestershire hotels
- Cheltenham Hotels
- 111 Reviews - 243 Photos
- Gloucester Hotels
- 94 Reviews - 302 Photos
- Tewkesbury Hotels
- 27 Reviews - 105 Photos
- Bourton on the Water Hotels
- 64 Reviews - 195 Photos
- Chipping Campden Hotels
- 53 Reviews - 133 Photos
- Broadway Hotels
- 93 Reviews - 148 Photos
- Cirencester Hotels
- 36 Reviews - 110 Photos
- Moreton in the Marsh Hotels
- 26 Reviews - 46 Photos
- Bishops Cleeve Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Stow on the Wold Hotels
- 10 Reviews - 41 Photos
- Lechlade Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 17 Photos
- Great Badminton Hotels
- 1 Review - 5 Photos
- Bredon Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 1 Photo
- Birdlip Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 25 Photos
- Winchcombe Hotels
- 16 Reviews - 48 Photos