"Hampshire" Top 5 Page for this destination Hampshire by grayfo
Hampshire Travel Guide: 919 reviews and 2,126 photos
Hampshire is a county on the south coast of England and borders Dorset, Wiltshire, Berkshire, Surrey and West Sussex. The county is undulating, finely wooded, and fruitful. Hampshire is also bordered by two ranges of chalk hills, known as the North and South Downs, to the west of the county is the New Forest, and in the south-east are the Forests of Bere and Waltham Chase.
The county town of Hampshire is Winchester.
County Council Tourism Site
Official Tourist Website
The coat of arms incorporates the rose and crown from the old county badge, the rose is the Lancaster rose, which has been used by Hampshire for many centuries. The lion supporter symbolises the fact that the city of Winchester was the medieval capital of England, and the lion is the English lion. The two crossed swords are a symbol for the connection of Hampshire with the army. The stag represents the New Forest, the royal hunting ground created by William the Conqueror in the 11th century. The anchor symbolises the connection with the navy. The crest shows a Saxon crown and castle and symbolises the links with the Saxon Kingdom of Wessex, of which Winchester was the capital. The castle also symbolises the role of Hampshire in defence of the realm; a role reflected in the county's wealth of military heritage.
The flag of Hampshire County Council was adopted in 1992 when the county was granted a coat of arms to mark the centenary of the county council in 1989. The "rose and crown" motifs have been associated with Hampshire since at least the 18th century and were formerly used by the county in heraldic badge form. Because the arms include the Royal crown, the Queen's permission had to be sought and a Royal Warrant was issued.
- Pros:Handsome Hampshire
Ringwood is an old market town situated on the River Avon in the county of Hampshire, the Wednesday Market has been in... more travel advice
Winchester is a cathedral city in central southern England and was historically referred to as Winton or Wintonceastre.... more travel advice
grayfo's Related Pages
Hampshire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Winchester and New Forest."
- "The New Forest"
- "Hampshire, a personal experience"
- "The New Forest"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hampshire
- Hotels in Hampshire
- Transportation in Hampshire
- Nightlife in Hampshire
- Restaurants in Hampshire
- Shopping in Hampshire
- Warnings and Dangers in Hampshire
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hampshire
- 24 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Hampshire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hampshire
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 38 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 37 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Royal Leamington Spa Intro, 35 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wichita Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kos Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Marostica Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Stratford-upon-Avon Intro, 21 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues