"Theatre and Healing" Top 5 Page for this destination Epidaurus by janetanne
Epidaurus Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 185 photos
What we see, is so amazing that we often are unaware of the 'unseen' elements of a place we are visiting in a foreign country. Take the time to do a little research about a place, and you will find wonderful new knowledge waiting to be rediscovered. If you don't have time to read, take a guided tour with an official guide...well worth the money.
Climb to the top of this theatre. Sit and comtemplate your relevance on this planet. Whisper your prayer or shout your statement and release the energy to the Universe; Hear the perfect accoustic resonance. No electrical outlets needed here!
What ancient citizen sat here one moonlit and starrey night? What tradgey or comedy filled their life with pleasure or wonderous thoughts?
You can come in the summer and see an Ancient Greek play performed by modern actors and actresses. No need to understand the language. The voices and movements carry a universally understood message. The power of this place extends beyond my words needed to fully describe. Somethings can only be felt or attempted by the verses of poets.
I sat and remembered my first visit to this magical place; it was an August night. On my birthday. August 25th and a full moon shone above.
Orestes! Orestimou! The voices cried and the pain was felt. The chorus chanted. I was hypnotized.
the Entrance of the Theatre at Epidavros. Tickets please? No, tickets were not required in Ancient times. In fact, the plays that were performed were not necessarily for reasons that we would initially think on visiting this theatre. Rather than being entertaining, these plays were highly connected to religious ceremonies. In fact, Epidavos is one of two, the other being Kos Island, which were very important 'healing centres' in a ncient times. There exists today, evidence of an ancient stoned-pathway that began at Ancient Epidavros and led to a natural hot spring, high in the mountains to the North of the theatre. It is believed that a female cult performed rituals of healing that involved the use of the hot spring waters. Their equivalent of a 'spa retreat' ??? Maybe we women have always known the importance of pampering our bodies and healing our aching 'souls?'
- Pros:Wonderful Natural Therapeutic Surroundings
- Cons:Remote spot, need car or pullman to go
- In a nutshell:The Ancients Knew the power and significance of perfect position and healing.
"I never knew the meaning of peace until I arrived at Epidavros," wrote Henry Miller. A sanctuary to Asclepios, the god... more travel advice
The sculptures that are housed in the museum at Epidavros are mostly copies of the original that have been taken to the... more travel advice
janetanne's Related Pages
Epidaurus Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sanctuary&Theatre in Epidaurus"
- "Theatre and Healing"
- "Epidaurus - the harmony of nature and architecture"
- "There are three Epidaure"
- "Birthplace of theater"
- "The best theatre in the world"
- "Sanctuary of Asklepios at Ancient Epidaurus"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Epidaurus
- Hotels in Epidaurus
- Transportation in Epidaurus
- Restaurants in Epidaurus
- Shopping in Epidaurus
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Epidaurus
- 5 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Epidaurus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Epidaurus
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spetses Island Intro, 42 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 34 reviews, 84 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chios Intro, 22 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vouliagmeni Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Windsor Intro, 12 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 31 reviews, 31 photos
- Prefecture of Attica Intro, 16 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Houghton Lake Intro, 21 reviews, 29 photos
- Anavissos Intro, 10 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sounio Intro, 12 reviews, 32 photos