"Hard Hydra" Hydra Island by janetanne
Hydra Island Travel Guide: 199 reviews and 597 photos
If you think taxis on mainland Greece are expensive, wait until you get off the boat on Hydra and discover that a donkey is the only way to carry all your luggage to your hotel! Each donkey you hire, will cost a minimum of 15 Euros, and that is if your 'Donkey leader' likes your face! There are NO metres on the side of a donkey! So, these donkey owners on Hydra can charge what ever they feel like it seems.
If you are staying for any length of time on Hydra and you must buy goods from the supermarket, then be prepared to again 'pay the donkey man,' for carrying the goods up the mountain on his donkey!
Hydra means 'water' in Greek, but guess what...Hydra has no drinking water except that which is brought in bottles..and bought and paid for..and yes, carried by your friendly 'donkey kong guy' for a surcharge of no less than 15Euros!
Hard Hydra! Hard Rocks! Hard Climbs up the hills! Hard life!
The view from the top of the village is impressive at any time of the day. The morning light hits the colours of the houses in a magical way. If you are lucky and find this vantage point early in the morning, be sure you have your camera ready as the sun light makes its way across the roof tops.
The same view at sunset in early July captures the sun setting just behind the acropolis of Hydra.
- Pros:Old Original Architechure, No Noise from Cars or Motor Bikes, No Pollution.
- Cons:It's an uphill climb everywhere by foot...or you pay through the nose for a local donkey.
- In a nutshell:A Nice Place to Visit for a Few Days, But I wouldn't Want to Live There!
Mistral, Hydra's best-kept secret, is a luxury stone mansion in the very heart of the island only 3 minutes from the... more travel advice
Because I found myself living on Hydra for a short time this summer, I found out exactly what it was like for the locals... more travel advice
janetanne's Related Pages
Hydra Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lady Of Argo Saronic Gulf"
- "Hydra-Island in the Saronic Gulf of the Aegian Sea"
- "HYDRA - GRECIAN VACATION FROM VACATIONS"
- "Hydra: a jewel in the saronic golf"
- "HYDRA: SOMETIMES WE NEED TO GET AWAY..."
- "Quiet and beautiful - that's Hydra."
- "Hard Hydra"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hydra Island
- Hotels in Hydra Island
- Transportation in Hydra Island
- Nightlife in Hydra Island
- Restaurants in Hydra Island
- Shopping in Hydra Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Hydra Island
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Hydra Island
- 9 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Hydra Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hydra Island
Photos in Hydra IslandSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spetses Island Intro, 42 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 34 reviews, 84 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chios Intro, 22 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vouliagmeni Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Windsor Intro, 12 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 31 reviews, 31 photos
- Prefecture of Attica Intro, 16 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Houghton Lake Intro, 21 reviews, 29 photos
- Anavissos Intro, 10 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sounio Intro, 12 reviews, 32 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (254)
Latest Hydra Island hotel reviews
- Angelika Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Ippokampos Hotel
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 10, 2012
- Miranda Hotel
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Mira Mare Hotel
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 18, 2013
- Bratsera Hotel
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Mistral Hotel Hydra Island
- 188 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Hotel Orloff
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013