"Cape Sunion Sunsets" Top 5 Page for this destination Sounio by janetanne

Sounio Travel Guide: 85 reviews and 391 photos

The Temple of Posidon god of the Sea

Besides Vouliagmeni Lake, my second most favourite place to visit, Summer, Fall, Winter or Spring, is the Temple of Posidonos at Sounion. This magnificent photo was taken at sunset on April 2, 2005. The wind was blowing and the body was chilled to the bones! But, the sunset was perfect. You are not allowed to go onto the marble monument, but somehow this one time, no guards were around. It was too cold for them to pursue the perpetrators. We quickly seized the chance for a perfect photo opportunity. The gods will forgive us, especially since no 'names were carved into the ancient columns,' as were so done in the days of Lord Byron's visit and whose name still glares at us from one of the sacred pillars above!

Posidonos Sunset

Go here just before sunset for spectacular photos, such as this one taken in the chill of an early spring day.

Another Sunion Sunset

This was taken looking Eastward from the Temple of Posidonos. Be sure to wear comfortable shoes when climbing up any of the ancient monuments in Greece:):)

• Pros:Great Photo ops, rugged scenery, Historical Significance
  • Cons:narrow, curving roads
  • In a nutshell:So Symbolic of Greece, that it musn't be missed!
  • Last visit to Sounio: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Oct 26, 2005

• gwendar's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Great sunsets love the colors

• dplesko's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Hello from Zagreb. Nice page. Damir

• starship's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2011 at 9:20 AM

We visited the Temple of Posidon this past May and what a view!! A chill wind was gusting but it was beautiful. Never did locate Byron's mark on the column unfortunately. Thank heaven we didn't see any snakes!!

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo
    May 1, 2011 at 12:06 AM

This was one of my favorite spots in Greece. Now we will venture up north and see what there is to see. ^O^ Martin

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2011 at 2:03 AM

Hello, Janet! Thanks for your interesting page! Long live Greece! ><><><><

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2010 at 1:50 AM

Yasou Janet, I missed this beautiful part of Greece and the Temple of Posidon. Saw the video and feel sick over the way some don't care about others and the destruction they cause to the landscape. Take care, Larry

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Wonderful photos Janet..all in all a really interesting page..I think I visited Sounio in the Seventies, I remember one of the beaches below the Temple..I had no idea there were poisonous snakes in Greece.TERRIFIC looking food at the Merida...yum!!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2009 at 1:45 PM

hi found another pg I had better come back to see properly!Have a great time back in the US and doing all those back home things!Yes Im due a trip back to the US but dont know when-I keep forfeiting a package Ive got so I should just go!

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2009 at 3:18 AM

Janet- every time I read another of your pages I want to do a Shirley Valentine.And you are right-that photo of Poseidon Temple is magnificent.So too are the wildflowers. Thanks

• Oct 9, 2008 at 11:31 AM

Nice pictures and tips!

janetanne Visits Here Frequently!

janetanne

“He who hesitates is lost”

Badges & Stats in Sounio