"Chios - Tradition Stands Still" Top 5 Page for this destination Chios by janetanne
Chios Travel Guide: 72 reviews and 155 photos
This was perhaps one of the best photos I have taken in Chios. As I walked through the beautiful town, gazing up at the wonderful etched walls of every building, I met this magnificent woman. She was full of happiness and her face glowed with pride. Next to her, we can see the wild tomatoes she has hung to dry for use for the rest of the year. She told me that these specific tomatoes are wild and that after they are planted, they are not watered again. Then in August, the tomatoes are harvested and strung up to dry on the balconies. Lovely! I saw this being done only in this particular village of "Pyrgi."
Almost every house in the village of Pyrgi, and only in this village, can you see the beautiful etched houses and buildings! It is one of the most famous things to see in Chios. If you go to Chios and you don't visit Pyrgi, you haven't seen Chios!
Chios is famous for it's beautiful and well known monasteries. Of these, the most visited is Nea Moni. It is most famous for it's beautiful frescos and mosaic designs of the main church. It was being restored when I visited, but I was lucky to have met the man who was painting the walls and he allowed me to come inside. While I was there, I also managed to take a few photos! This is not usually allowed without special permission, but since I have been studying the art of painting icons, this man allowed me to take my pictures! The renovations will not be completed until December, 2007, so if you go to visit this monastery, you may want to get permission in the main town of Chios before you to to visit the church. If not, maybe you will be lucky like I was and find the little side door open!
- Pros:Beautiful Island, Not so many tourists, Great Beaches.
- Cons:Roads are curvey and winding up many tall mountains. Need a car to see island.
- In a nutshell:If you want quiet beaches, Chios is perfect.
The only employee in charge of the records of Chiot immigrants and emigrants, was unduly unfriendly, to say the least!... more travel advice
Kiria Maria, 35 years young, lives with her elder parents in the village, and takes care not only of them, but of the... more travel advice
janetanne's Related Pages
Chios Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chios - Tradition Stands Still"
- "Chios-My Native Island"
- "Chios city"
- "Chios - the island of my dreams"
- "Chios: a Greek Island off the beaten path"
- "Denia's Chios page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chios
- Hotels in Chios
- Transportation in Chios
- Nightlife in Chios
- Restaurants in Chios
- Shopping in Chios
- Warnings and Dangers in Chios
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Chios
- 22 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 34 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Chios?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chios
Photos in ChiosSee All Photos (63)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spetses Island Intro, 42 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 34 reviews, 84 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chios Intro, 22 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vouliagmeni Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Windsor Intro, 12 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 31 reviews, 31 photos
- Prefecture of Attica Intro, 16 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Houghton Lake Intro, 21 reviews, 29 photos
- Anavissos Intro, 10 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sounio Intro, 12 reviews, 32 photos