"Chios - Tradition Stands Still" Top 5 Page for this destination Chios by janetanne

Chios Travel Guide: 72 reviews and 155 photos

Sun Drying Tomatoes

This was perhaps one of the best photos I have taken in Chios. As I walked through the beautiful town, gazing up at the wonderful etched walls of every building, I met this magnificent woman. She was full of happiness and her face glowed with pride. Next to her, we can see the wild tomatoes she has hung to dry for use for the rest of the year. She told me that these specific tomatoes are wild and that after they are planted, they are not watered again. Then in August, the tomatoes are harvested and strung up to dry on the balconies. Lovely! I saw this being done only in this particular village of "Pyrgi."

Intricately Detailed Designs

Almost every house in the village of Pyrgi, and only in this village, can you see the beautiful etched houses and buildings! It is one of the most famous things to see in Chios. If you go to Chios and you don't visit Pyrgi, you haven't seen Chios!

Monasteries

Chios is famous for it's beautiful and well known monasteries. Of these, the most visited is Nea Moni. It is most famous for it's beautiful frescos and mosaic designs of the main church. It was being restored when I visited, but I was lucky to have met the man who was painting the walls and he allowed me to come inside. While I was there, I also managed to take a few photos! This is not usually allowed without special permission, but since I have been studying the art of painting icons, this man allowed me to take my pictures! The renovations will not be completed until December, 2007, so if you go to visit this monastery, you may want to get permission in the main town of Chios before you to to visit the church. If not, maybe you will be lucky like I was and find the little side door open!

• Pros:Beautiful Island, Not so many tourists, Great Beaches.
  • Cons:Roads are curvey and winding up many tall mountains. Need a car to see island.
  • In a nutshell:If you want quiet beaches, Chios is perfect.
  • Last visit to Chios: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated Feb 12, 2008

• bigblue's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2011 at 4:27 AM

Hello Janetanne,I am in Chios for ten days.Very beautiful and interesting island.
    Have a nice week.
    Kostas

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2011 at 1:34 PM

What an interesting page, thanks for sharing with us ;-)

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Janet, I see artwork in Sicily, Crete, US Dollar and other signs that the Greeks were the origin of many great talents. I especially enjoy the all seeing eye of God in the trinity. Why have I missed these pages. Great job. Efharisto. Larry

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2010 at 11:38 AM

What great preserved sites at the monasteries, and the clear blue water looks so appealing. YOu have done a very good job of picture taking and comments to inform the readers.

• May 24, 2010 at 12:18 AM

you have added very nic tips

• Belsaita's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2010 at 1:26 AM

Truly enjoyed readng your story of Agia Gala, and your photos. This place must be magical. Hugs, Isa

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2009 at 11:25 PM

An interesting page.

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2008 at 12:46 PM

you got great pages here. best wishes from istanbul.

• timada's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Your page is very special ! The place is magical in its old light . Enjoyed very much your wonderful photos and stories !

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Great page about Chios and great stories too! A pity that you couldn't find any records though..

janetanne

“He who hesitates is lost”

Badges & Stats in Chios