"Ancient History Lesson - Lavrion" Lavrio by janetanne
Lavrio Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 102 photos
After the battle of Marathon, Themistocles persuaded the Athenians to devote the anticipated revenue derived from a major silver vein strike in the mines circa 483 BC to expanding the Athenian fleet to 200 triremes, and thus laid the foundation of the Athenian naval power. The mines, which were the property of the state, were usually farmed out for a certain fixed sum and a percentage on the working; slave labour was exclusively employed. Towards the end of the 5th century the output was diminished, partly owing to the Spartan occupation of Decelea. But the mines continued to be worked, though Strabo records that in his time the tailings were being worked over, and Pausanias speaks of the mines as a thing of the past. The ancient workings, consisting of shafts and galleries for excavating the ore, and pans and other arrangements for extracting the metal, may still be seen. The mines were still worked in the early 20th century by French and Greek companies, but mainly for lead, manganese and cadmium. The population of the modern town was 10,007 in 1907. It is now connected by the new Eleftherios Venizelos International Airport and Attiki Odos. The nearest town is Keratea. It used to have a nearby train station but the line was abandoned in the mid-20th century. The mining town of Laurium, Michigan was named after the famous Greek Laurium.
Just outsisde of Lavrio, going toward the electrical power plant, you will see on the north slope of a hill beside the... more travel advice
The tunnels and shafts dug to reach the layers of minerals in the ancient mines, created massive amounts of debris near... more travel advice
janetanne's Related Pages
Lavrio Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Home"
- "Looking for its glorious past..."
- "no silver anymore"
- "Ancient History Lesson - Lavrion"
- "Thorikos/Lavrion Mining District"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lavrio
- 5 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Lavrio?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lavrio
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spetses Island Intro, 42 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 34 reviews, 84 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chios Intro, 22 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vouliagmeni Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Windsor Intro, 12 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 31 reviews, 31 photos
- Prefecture of Attica Intro, 16 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Houghton Lake Intro, 21 reviews, 29 photos
- Anavissos Intro, 10 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sounio Intro, 12 reviews, 32 photos