"PATRAS- CARNIVAL CAPITOL OF GREECE" Top 5 Page for this destination Patras by janetanne

Patras Travel Guide: 177 reviews and 632 photos

Carnival Time in Patras

If you love Carnival Time and can't afford to go to Rio in Brazil...come to Patras, Greece. Carnival time in Patras is absolutely Crazy! I have only been on one night during carnival time, 'Tsipno Pempti,' which is the Thursday night before the last Sunday of Carnival. This is the night traditionally, when people would 'fry-up' the last of the meat in their house or taverna's, in preparation for the long 'fasting' period which is 40 days before Easter.
Almost all of my friends who live in Patras have told me that they usually 'leave' Patras on the last weekend when things get really wild and crazy...unless they are in the parade, they say it is just too much for them! You will not find a hotel that has a vacant room unless you have booked far in advance! So, if you go on a last minute whim...plan to travel back towards Athens to a nearby village or town to find a room!
If you are young or adventurous...what the heck...Go for it and Have Fun!

• Pros:Big Port Town, great shopping, interesting sites
  • Cons:Big Town, Lots of Traffic, Difficult to get around.
  • In a nutshell:Please Patra, make some parking lots!
  • Last visit to Patras: Dec 2005
  • Intro Updated Feb 18, 2009

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2010 at 12:15 PM

great pic of the bridge! I prefer to stay in the center center though, so much to see, it's a big mistake the tourists skip the city.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2009 at 4:48 AM

Janet- is this where you wore your carnival mask lol!That is a great bridge, but somehow looks out of place in this pretty place.

• Aggeliki's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2007 at 1:00 AM

New pages i see here.... In Patras my father lived many years

• Sep 5, 2006 at 3:27 AM

Porto Rio hotel is considered to be great but rumor has it that they throw all the toilet stuff (excuse my english are poor at this point) straight into the sea (the beach you are mentioning as a unique quality. :( But then again its just a rumor :))

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2006 at 10:29 AM

Hi Janet, here I am writing up some of my Greek pages and drifting through others' and who should pop up on my console :)

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2006 at 12:03 PM

Antirion bridge looks great! Last time I crossed the channel, it was not there. For me, Patras is second to Igou as a hell of a place in Greece but may be that out of season, it can be an interesting city though I anyway prefer Bassae!

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2006 at 4:29 AM

That's a creepy clown shot....I like it!

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2006 at 11:25 PM

Never heard about Clean Monday, but it sure reminds me of cleaning for Passover.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2006 at 12:34 PM

Amazing photos of the new bridge!! It's been a long time since I've visited Greece, thanks for viewing my page.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2006 at 9:32 AM

Excellent photos of the wonderful bridge. It really is quite something.

janetanne Visits Here Frequently!

janetanne

“He who hesitates is lost”

Badges & Stats in Patras